bugger i another problem

scottydo

Was doing some gentle greenlaning on the way home today and when i come out the other end i noticed in the mirror white smoke was coming out of the exhaust. the lane only had a couple of light water splashes nothing more than a foot deep.

What do reckons gone rong?

Tis a 200tdi 90 im driving

I think white smoke on a diesel can be caused by a few things, engine not hot enough for proper combustion, running lean ie not enough fuel being delivered, or it's running on a diesel/coolant mix ie head gasket has gone. Given tdi's are prone to head gaskets going that would be my guess if it's now giving white smoke most of the time.

Or was it just some steam off the water splashes :rolleyes:

I have no idea what the power loss could point to, I just thought it was the sort of question that would make it look like I knew what I was on about. Best wait for a grown up to come along and figure out what's wrong :rolleyes::ph34r:

I take it the motor had a bit more umph before the smoking started?

Found this....

http://www.difflock.com/diesel/troubleshooting.shtml

thought it might help.

As it's not on start up can discount glow plugs, so sounds like fuel delivery problem (injectors or pump), timing or compression (head gasket) - which is more or less as I said originally.

How you narrow it down further I don't know. Compression test maybe would sort that possibility.

if its using coolant and theres a lack of power isint that head gasket or cracked/split/worn head/cyclinder walls

where wear/hole is responsible for lack of power by reducing compression ratio and then on induction stroke it sucks in coolant which it then subsequently heats and comes out the exhuast as white steam/smoke???