Wanted - Freelander

chrisoleary

But which model is the best to look for. Heard tales of the 1.8 head gaskets etc, is the 2.0 diesel a good motor? 2.5's seem to be getting cheaper, are they worth the extra fuel or is it to be the TD4? :unsure:

Looking for a cheap one around 3k for first timer, think that might rule out the TD4. Any advice?

I got a 100k mile 2.0d for £2750 but took a lot of haggling and it was in need of a little tlc but my wife loves it as she gave up a 06 focus for it..

1.8's are alot chaeper and it can be a lottery with them but my 1.8 has not been any trouble as a racer.

Thanks Jules but just like another post I recently read I could not resist and have put a deposit on a 1.8 50th anniversary model which was on ebay. Nice looking motor just praying it does not have any hidden problems but I suppose that's always the case with this end of the budget and buying private. But price wise I think these models are a bargain.

Thanks Jules but just like another post I recently read I could not resist and have put a deposit on a 1.8 50th anniversary model which was on ebay. Nice looking motor just praying it does not have any hidden problems but I suppose that's always the case with this end of the budget and buying private. But price wise I think these models are a bargain.

Even if it does its only a gasket

and if it is a linner as well that can go its not like 1.8's are in short supply.

you will just need togat your hands dirty

isn't that why we have Land Rovers anyway. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Although there are horror stories about the 1.8, there are plenty of people who have had no problems with them. (Perhaps they just haven't had problems YET!)

I had a K-series in a different vehicle and it gave us plenty of warning that the HG was failing. I think if I had a Freelander 1.8 I would just make sure I was vigilent - and watched the coolant and oil like a hawk.

Cheers

Blippie