Leaking frost plug in the 2,5 petrol head....

SeriousIIa

Hi,

Heard a strange ticking noise when offroading today. Starts at about 4300 rpm (sounds like crankshaft bearings ..... :( or something :S ) Opened the valve cover to check the valves for playand found out I had cream in the cover :( And one of the frost plugs in the head (topside) has started leaking, (There is cooling liquid standing in the plug) are these plugs repairable in situ? (just prie the old one out? and tap in the new one? ) or is there more to it.

Question 2, any ideas what the rattle can be???? (I think it developed because lack of lubrication, (Oil pressure was still reading 2 bar all the time) but pobably less lubrication fron an oil/water mixture.....

Cheers Bowy

Clean around the frsot plug (we call it a core plug in these 'ere parts). A small amount of thread lock or similar around the rim of the new plug and tap it in nice and square with a socket that fits snugly inside the new plug. It might be worth mentioning that if one plug has corroded through, then the others may well be in a similar situation and about to follow suit. Lack of the correct amount of antifreeze in the system is what causes this problem as antifreeze is also a corrosion inhibitor.

Dunno about the ticking - check the tappets while you are in there.

Les.

Clean around the frsot plug (we call it a core plug in these 'ere parts). A small amount of thread lock or similar around the rim of the new plug and tap it in nice and square with a socket that fits snugly inside the new plug. It might be worth mentioning that if one plug has corroded through, then the others may well be in a similar situation and about to follow suit. Lack of the correct amount of antifreeze in the system is what causes this problem as antifreeze is also a corrosion inhibitor.

Dunno about the ticking - check the tappets while you are in there.

Les.

Les,

Thx for the input , I think I will clean the "core" plug surroundings and replace them all. Hearing what's it's like it will probably done in situ.

Cheers Bowy who's hoping the ticking will go away with new oil and less cream.