Should there be a "clack" with diff lock on?

Hi there,

When I got my 300Tdi 90 I noticed that the 4WD diff lock on the dash boar does not light up when the diff lock should be engaged.

Last weekend I dig through the floor and the gear box casing to fix a gear box oil linkage and noticed that on of the two wires of the diff lock sensor is cut off.

Once re-wired the dash turns the light on, when the stick is moved to the position where the diff lock should be engaged. But I do not feel any "click" or "clack" or anything like that while selecting the diff lock.

Tried to go only really slippery grass hill, but didn’t notice any difference with the dif lock on or off.

Is there a way to diagnose if the diff lock really works or not?

Thanks in advance for any advices.

Tomas

Hi there,

When I got my 300Tdi 90 I noticed that the 4WD diff lock on the dash boar does not light up when the diff lock should be engaged.

Last weekend I dig through the floor and the gear box casing to fix a gear box oil linkage and noticed that on of the two wires of the diff lock sensor is cut off.

Once re-wired the dash turns the light on, when the stick is moved to the position where the diff lock should be engaged. But I do not feel any "click" or "clack" or anything like that while selecting the diff lock.

Tried to go only really slippery grass hill, but didn’t notice any difference with the dif lock on or off.

Is there a way to diagnose if the diff lock really works or not?

Thanks in advance for any advices.

Tomas

I dont get any clunk or click from my 3oo tdi when i switch over to diff lock, I know its working as it has got me out of the cr>p a few times,

There is a way to check by jacking something and somtehing and doing something but it escapes me at the moment but no doubt someone else can fill you in on that

it shouldn't make any noise engaging. you can engage it on the move as well but pref not with a wheel spinning excessively fast (eg when stuck trying to get out)

to check you could

lock the center diff, leave it in gear and jack up an axle, wheels will only turn till held on the gears.

unlock the diff, leave in gear, and wheel will spin one way and the wheel on the other end of the axle will go the other way.

i would use axle stands on the lifted axle and chock the remaining grounded wheels on the other axle (both sides) on the ground

it shouldn't make any noise engaging. you can engage it on the move as well but pref not with a wheel spinning excessively fast (eg when stuck trying to get out)

to check you could

lock the center diff, leave it in gear and jack up an axle, wheels will only turn till held on the gears.

unlock the diff, leave in gear, and wheel will spin one way and the wheel on the other end of the axle will go the other way.

i would use axle stands on the lifted axle and chock the remaining grounded wheels on the other axle (both sides) on the ground

Is that not the case if you have a rear or front lockers im proberly wrong but i thought it was different with the center diff locker

Jack ONE wheel up. Front or rear, makes no difference.

Without difflock, no handbrake and out of gear you will be able to turn the wheel.

With difflock, no handbrake and out of gear the wheel should not turn.

Remember though that it takes a while for difflock to engage/disengage. So you may have to drop the car and drive it back and forth then jack up again to test.

The more risky approach......

Jack one wheel up, start engine, engage gear, let clutch up. Raised wheel should be spinning freely.

Stop. engage difflock. Try again, but be gentle on the clutch this time, the car should now be trying to drive off the jack. DON'T DRIVE OFF THE JACK!!!