Alternative alternator

Please excuse my total ignorance of electricity.

My origianl alternator recently had rear bearing collapse, and casing meltdown.

So am currently in the market for a new one,

My 90 is a customised 300tdi automatic twin optima 8274 front winch lugging type.

Anyway I had a 100amp alternator previously, am currently borrowing a friends old 65amp one.

Are there any consequences of fitting a 120amp alternator ?

What is the improtance of the amp rating all about. Is higher better ?

Cheers

Peter

Guest diesel_jim

Just run a length of 35mm2 cable from the new alternator either to the starter main terminal, or just straigth back to the battery. with good crimped on lugs.

job done. 35mm is plenty big enought to carry the 120amps, and still easy to work with (unlike 70mm2 which is like using steam pipe!)

Guest WALFY
Just run a length of 35mm2 cable from the new alternator either to the starter main terminal, or just straigth back to the battery. with good crimped on lugs.

job done. 35mm is plenty big enought to carry the 120amps, and still easy to work with (unlike 70mm2 which is like using steam pipe!)

Jamie

I'd agree there. My rear husky is wired with 70mm cable. A pig to fit. I ended up laying the cable out and putting the crimps on when it was in situ. But at least the cables won't get hot

Guest diesel_jim

If anyone wants the lugs crimped on properly (as opposed to in a vice/pliers/two house bricks etc) then i've got a proper crimping tool here, if you send me a length of cable i'll gladly crimp on the lugs, with heat shrink sleeve on the ends.

T'is a much neater job, and gives the proper amount of (ie, relative lack of) resistance for the connections.