OT - macbook wireless question

Guest MJG

Before you answer.

Please understand I am fully aware there are possibly numerous networking sites that could possibly provide the answer I need... how ever I am here with folks I trust. So if you are going to point this out please dont' bother.

Daugher has just bought a Macbook. She will need this to connect to our wireless home network, which is set up wih a dell wireless router. So what problems can I expect connecting a Mac to a Windows wreless network?????

None at all - should work straight out of the box. My mum got one for Christmas - fantastic machines.

You may need to enter the network key though...

Cheers... no problem have this..

Daugher has just bought a Macbook. She will need this to connect to our wireless home network, which is set up wih a dell wireless router. So what problems can I expect connecting a Mac to a Windows wreless network?????

This should be extremely easy, but you do need the network key and if the network is set to "Private" you will need the correct network title. Adding Macs to PC networks is usually money for old rope. :rolleyes: There are a couple of tools/apps that can be useful on the Mac, iStumbler and KisMAC, both detect wifi networks, iStumbler plays nice, KisMAC is more of a hacker tool, given time it will uncloak private networks and decrypt WEP keys. (Remember, unauthorised intrusion of a private network can get you jail time). :ph34r:

Thanks every body - her Macbook arrived today, found our wireless home network during the setup, entered the network key when prompted and bingo surfing in seconds.... daughter very happy :D :D :D :D