Relays

chrispy

Morning all,

the other day I was driving along when the engine cut out. It then failed to restart. The AA man quickly diagnosed it as a faulty fuel pump relay and bridged the connections to get me home. I checked the voltages with a multimeter to ensure it was a dodgy relay and then replaced the relay. Everything is now working fine. However, given that the EFI relay next to the fuel pump one is identical and the same age, I thought I should replace that while I'm at it. Strangely though, replacing that relay with an identical one to the new fuel pump one, causes the car not to run...

I'm puzzled, do any of you have any clues (other than a dud relay)?

Cheers,

Chris

The main relay has two 87 terminals (NOT 87a) and so if you stick a standard 4-pin one in then half of the system won't be getting power.

GroupImage2.GIFGroupImage17.GIF

VWP are the guys for a new relay

Those relays are fairly robust, newer plastic ones seem to burn out on the fuel pump because I had exactly the same thing where I had swapped a "new" relay in its place during some earlier diagnostics. If your main one is working then leave it alone :P