My 2nd hand clock spring

C.J.

Following the totally unecessary self inflicted vandalism of the clock spring on my Disco, I managed to get a 2nd hand one from Equicar 4x4 in Wolverhampton.

Now I noticed that the two halves have some silver tape to presumably show it's all lined up correctly. The silver outer tape on mine broke, presumably whilst I was 'twirling' :rolleyes: , but I notice the outer silver tape on this 2nd hand one is also broken.

I've had to re-align the two bits back together again to enable me to get the wiring and 'lug' attached to the clock spring for the air bag through the hole in the steering wheel.

Just spent an hour and a half fitting it too.

Is their anyway of checking it's not knackerd before I go the expense of having the fault code for the air bag light extinguished?

The part has got a 30 day warranty, but will they believe me if I send it back broken...if it is? :huh:

Following the totally unecessary self inflicted vandalism of the clock spring on my Disco, I managed to get a 2nd hand one from Equicar 4x4 in Wolverhampton.

Now I noticed that the two halves have some silver tape to presumably show it's all lined up correctly. The silver outer tape on mine broke, presumably whilst I was 'twirling' :rolleyes: , but I notice the outer silver tape on this 2nd hand one is also broken.

I've had to re-align the two bits back together again to enable me to get the wiring and 'lug' attached to the clock spring for the air bag through the hole in the steering wheel.

Just spent an hour and a half fitting it too.

Is their anyway of checking it's not knackerd before I go the expense of having the fault code for the air bag light extinguished?

The part has got a 30 day warranty, but will they believe me if I send it back broken...if it is? :huh:

Before fitting it, you can check the resistance of the clockspring circuits individually.

Note: it MUST be disconnected from the car wiring and airbag!!!!!!!

so you can test it in the car, but it MUST be disconnected.

Are there 4 wires in (5out)? = horn and airbag circuit.

Just check continuity pin to pin

Can't find a wiring diagram of the SRS circuit though?? :blink:

However, the horn feed is pin 1 at the car-wiring end and pins 1&6 at the wheel end (hope that helps)

Well it is working...well the horn is again, so it must be ok. Trouble is that it sounds like a paper bag is being screwed up evry time I turn the wheel now.

Took it back off, checked everything is fitted properly but to no avail.

Give me strength.

To align the coupler you need it out of the vehicle. Align it so the (broken) tape is as it was when the tape was broken, if that makes sense. Then VERY carefully (just with fingertips) turn it one way until you feel some resistance and count the turns. Turn it the same number of turns back to where you started and then turn it the other way till you feel some resistance, counting the number of turns. Basically what you want is for the coupler to have the same number of turns each way to within about 1/2 a turn (it is usually not quite exact) so you end up with the thing positioned with say 4 turns available in each direction or 3.5 in one direction and 4 in the other (I can't remember exactly how many turns there are).

If the turns each way are not equal then turn it by 1 full turn in the right direction to even it out, and so the two halves of the broken tape are aligned, then check it again. Then install it in the vehicle with the steering in the straight ahead position and that should work fine assuming the coupler wasn't already broken.

The tape holding the two halves of the coupler together is there to make sure a brand new coupler isn't turned out of alignment before installation - the coupler you have will be out of an old Disco so it will obviously be broken but that doesn't mean the coupler is broken inside.

Not sure about the paper bag all I can think of is that the coupler is rubbing on something because it is not correctly seated (maybe the harness?)

HTH

If you install the tape with the steering in the staright ahead position and the tape is too tight at that point, when you turn the steering it will unwind the tape as it should in one direction, but would over tighten it in the other. The tape tightening makes a creaking noise, similar to squeezing a ball of paper. If this is what's happening, you are in danger of breaking the new tape.

Les.

If you install the tape with the steering in the staright ahead position and the tape is too tight at that point, when you turn the steering it will unwind the tape as it should in one direction, but would over tighten it in the other. The tape tightening makes a creaking noise, similar to squeezing a ball of paper. If this is what's happening, you are in danger of breaking the new tape.

Les.

It's creaking/crackling when turning the wheel in either direction tbh. It does sound like the tape., and it's very noisy

Considering opening the two halves to see if it's got twisted or something, or is this p'raps NOT a good move considering my track record so far? :unsure:

All sorted, and mainly due to our friendly helpful 'Boggy' and Les. I followed all your instructions slowly and carefully.

Thanks VERY much lads. It's well appreciated.

I discovered, after sitting down quietly, inspecting and thinking logically for a change, :rolleyes: that the little plastic 'tit' with a spring inside it that seems to press against the back of the steering wheel to release the two halves of the clock spring, wasn't in fact pressing in to do it's job. Hence the grinding /rustling noise.

Don't know if the end of it was missing, broken off or just worn away, but I carefully cut a piece of firm foam to glue into the recess in the back of the steering wheel to 'build it up', to enable the 'tit' to do its job....and it worked!!

Made my bloody day it has. :lol:

Just got to get the SRS light knocked off now.

• Like 1