Another tyre question....

Trying to decide on a tyre, I want something that looks awesome and performs just as good or better. Don't really care about on road manners.

At the moment the leading candidate is the Insa Turbo Special Track in 235/85R16, they look great and apparently work well in the mud without being stupidly priced either.

But I know in the US the TSL Bogger is the favoured mud tyre from Interco:

http://www.intercotire.com/site28.php

sbogger.jpg

Sadly importing a set is not really an option I'm considering due to the cost.

However there are a few remoulds available in this country offering the same tread pattern, if not the same sizes.

Such as Greenway's Anaconda:

anaconda4ow.jpg

http://www.tyresdirectuk.co.uk/xcart/custo...home.php?cat=11

And King Off Road's Trial Ade

trial_ade.jpg

http://www.kingoffroad.co.uk/ortyres.html

I'm not sure if it's just the pics but the remoulds don't appear to be quite as aggressive or have such a deep lug pattern as the Boggers.

Anyone have experience with these remoulds and how do they compare to tyres like the Insa Turbo Special Track and the Fedima Trekkers?

what helps boggers is the flex they have - remo's arent gonna be so squidgy, try LA supertrux for a price on the genuine McCoy, Devon have joined the club selling them although lrfun might be worth talking to about about Devons leadtimes for boggers.....

IMS serves the greenways aren't road legal (but we're all adults - so make your own decision about that bit ;) )

try LA supertrux for a price on the genuine McCoy

Yep well over £200 a tyre for the smallest size :o:o:o

Think if I was spending that much I'd go for some more Simex's. Also I reckon I could buy and ship the Boggers from the US for a decent amount less than LA Supertrux are wanting.

i would say get the insa special track, my friend has these on his disco and they look good and do the job so well B) and are wearing very well on the road too. His week envolves driving everyday with them on then pay and break most weekends :unsure:, as soon as my tyres have worn out i will be buying some B)

What sort of terrian are you going to be using the tyres on? If its anything but clay then I'd think again about a simex based tread. These tyres are designed to dig to get you through and aren't that helpful unless there's something solid somewhere down there!

On bog or sand then a normal mud terrain or even a greenway macho (a very under rated tyre - I'd say its one of the best all round tyres I've seen) will work well as will a genuine bogger. I think the problem with the bogger style tyres is they're mostly available in small narrow tyres that don't flex well. The tread also doesn't look very open compared to the genuine article.

What sort of terrian are you going to be using the tyres on? If its anything but clay then I'd think again about a simex based tread. These tyres are designed to dig to get you through and aren't that helpful unless there's something solid somewhere down there!

On bog or sand then a normal mud terrain or even a greenway macho (a very under rated tyre - I'd say its one of the best all round tyres I've seen) will work well as will a genuine bogger. I think the problem with the bogger style tyres is they're mostly available in small narrow tyres that don't flex well. The tread also doesn't look very open compared to the genuine article.

Could be any sort of muddy terrain to be honest, I'm not far from Dunstable Downs so chalky clay is fairly unbundant, but I haven't got too far to go to find much more sandy soils (Greensand Ridge area). As well as good old fashioned mud mud that we get in in the Midland/SE with plenty of slippy grass.

On my Discovery I run Simex Jungle Trekker II's and they are frigging awesome and from observation/experience have substantially more grip than the Macho or even Grizzly Claw remould tread pattern.

I've got a mate who runs Simex Extreme Trekkers in 32.9.50 and gets on really well with them, but I don't know anyone running Boggers or the Insa Turbo/Fedima Extreme Trekker a-likes.

its tricky with the frieght costs on tyres unless you get a works deal or shift a lot of frieght a month - even sea freight for small lots gets steep when theres release fees, stevedore fees, made-up-because-I-have-a-boat fees plus vat and duty :( ask me how I know....eek! if you're in the trade though I guess it would get a lot cheaper.

The tech trucks run Fedimas and they do ok getting about but they dig like a paddy on price work