Transmission Problem?

Joseph

Hi all, just want a few other opinions on my problem. I have a 97 disco with an automatic transmission just over 100k miles. I have a fairly loud grinding, oscillating (kind of a vibrating sound as if metal was loose and shaking violently) sound which appears to be coming from the transmission area (when i stick my head under there to listen). It does not always make the sound when i just start the car, but once i begin to drive it makes the sound when my foot IS OFF the accelerator. If i put my foot back on the accelerator, even lightly, the noise stops until i let off again. It also seems to stop when i brake. There is also a clunking sound that seems to cycle (about 4 to 6 times a second ad repeat) and is there more often than the grinding sound... i don't know if the two are related, but the second sound makes my car sound like a diesel.

I don't really have a problem with the car shifting and the noise does not get better or worse no matter what gear I'm in... even if I'm just idling. I'm thinking of replacing the transmission for 500 bucks (do it myself). Any advice for double checking that the problem is the transmission or for removing my transmission?

Thanks,

Joe

Hi,

I would check that the diff pinion's are tight as when mine made a similar noise I found that there was a lot of play in the rear diff flange. ( I had just replaced the flange and had not done it up correctly.)

HTH

Pete.

Funny enough, i replaced my rear diff about a year ago (thanks to the help from the fine folks on this forum). I cant imagine how the noise could be due to that, however, when it is centralized somewhere around the transmission... I will check anyhow because I'm certainly no authority on the subject.

Thanks,

Joe