Kenlowe thermo fan on a Series III 2,25 petrol

Guest MJG

I fitted one to catflap.

Wanna see some piccies? :)

Les.

Cheers Les as ever.

Either post here or by PM what ever is easier.......

I have fitted a kenlowe push fan on the outside of the radiator. The horrible plastic tie things that come with the fan are not a very good way of mounting the fan (through the radiator core). They work loose and also damage the core, plus you also have to cut them if you ever need to remove the fan.

I made a simple mounting frame that in these pictures is riveted to the frame of the radiator and is very solid. There are 4xM6 coarse studs welded in place to secure the fan to the frame. The curved cut outs are there to maximise air flow from the fan. Another benefit of doing this is that the radiator and fan assembly can be lifted out as a single unit.

med_gallery_2_39_415914.jpg

med_gallery_2_39_970041.jpg

med_gallery_2_39_519762.jpg

med_gallery_2_39_934499.jpg

Les.

I used the "horrible plastic tie things" to secure it and have not had a problem. They do pull the fins together at the back a little, but it doesn't seem to have damaged anything.

post-204-1181117785_thumb.jpg

I have got rid of the Kenlowe thermostat unit after it failed and the engine boiled up. Didn't damage anything but can't have been good for it! I now have an x-fan switch which was an absolute sod to fit the hose onto, but is neater and hopefully more reliable!

Not Series III I Know but, on my Discovery I have just had to replace the rad as the previous owner had fitted a kenlowe using the plastic things and they then made a hole in the tubes in the rad causing it to leak. I also use a X-switch rather than the standard kenlowe one.

I made up some brackets to hold the fan to the radiator frame when I refitted it.

Pete.

I have fitted the X-switch as well in the bottom hose - nice and tidy. The kenlowe thermal switch is a right pain, you have to use buckets of RTV sealnt to stop it leaking where the bulb goes in the top of the rad and the switch itself is ruined by water ingress.

Les.

This is how I have done my one. With a manual switch and temp guage for control! I have a big ex-mil type oil cooler that takes up most of the space in front of the grill so I have mounted the fan on that. I think this restricts airflow hugely so I will either move it to behind the radiator or fit a disco/rangie autobox oil cooler in its place. Anyone have any thoughts?

post-3661-1181144060_thumb.jpg

post-3661-1181144090_thumb.jpg