OIL IN COOLANT

foxminer

A problem previously had raised it`s ugly head again.

Coming back from the airport lastnight my D2 started to overheat and ended up on limp-home mode.

Checking things out this morning the hose on the oil cooler had split, and oil back in the cooling system, i went to get a new hose this morning and to speak to the tech-guys at the shop. Asking how this could still be happeening after i have done the head gasket only 350 miles ago and lost almost all my oil he said it could be either the cylinder lining cracked for which they can test for, or the oil cooler itself i know it has a matrix system maybe the oil is getting in through there?. Does anyone know if this is common or even heard of i`m thinking of replacing the oil cooler and i`m taking it to the workshop to have the cylinders tested once iv`e put the hose back on. All replies greatly recieved.

FOXMINER.

Don't think it is "common" but a possibility if (as I think) the oil cooler loses its heat into the radiator coolant.

Cylinder cracking is a possibility, we have a Td5 90 which had a coolant leak for a couple of years, then a (nearly new non genuine) heater plug dropped into the cylinder and stopped the engine with an expensive crunch, took the head off to inspect the damage and found where the coolant had been going, there was a vertical crack several inches long down the side of no. 1 cylinder! I just ordered an engine from Equicar as the whole thing was basically scrap value needing a new block and a new head... hope yours isn't as drastic but if it does come to that, Equicar's prices seemed good, haven't used them before so hopefully it will be ok.

The oil cooler is sealed by a couple of o-rings. I would reckon that is where your problem lies. As usual, try the cheap things first. But it also looks as if the o-rings are not sold separately. You will need the gasket that holds the cooler to the side of the engine which is ERR7098.

I have an oil cooler in front of me as I write, and the O-rings look to be 24.5 mm internal and 32mm external diameter. There is another pair of o-rings around the bolts that hold the element to the housing, the Microcat shows these, but no part number. The part no for the whole shebang (which you may not need at all) is PBC101270.

It is worth a try, rather like the fuel coolers which we fix now for the cost of a couple of 48mm o-rings rather than the body parts that Land Rover Stealers (sorry Steve :) ) want.

Thanks for the the help guy`s i`ll try to source the o rings when i get the new gasket. I know there`s a dead bottom end in thier workshop which still has the oil cooler attached, may be able to make them a cheeky offer for it ;) .

FOXMINER.