Fitting winch to Vitara do I need an Extra Battery?

ChrisH

I have a Warn M6000 Fitting to a 1989 Suzuki Vitara 1.6 8v some of you have seen it on JST events.

I am bit worried on the Power or maybe lack of it coming out of the standard battery that is a 40amps 35mah i think. would I do better if I got another one in the boot & wired winch from that?? if so does it matter the length of cable between the to batteries & the engine?? what are Exide batteries like Mole Valley Farmer only 3 miles away!!! iof so what size should I bee looking for?

also of was fitted in the rear of the car anything I should & should not do when fixing? I have just put in a wooden bulkhead between the front seats & rear & the floor of rear is wood too

any help with thanks, getting ready for 7 sisters

Chris,

The sh!tzuki :lol: weighs next to FA so the existing battery will probably be OK for something like 7S …………….. you may want to upgrade later if entering challenge comps.

The cable between the batteries should be no less than 180 – 200 rated ……….. that’s then OK for 400 amp short bursts……….also make sure you protect the cable by using a good quality split sleeve.

:)

Ian

The cable between the batteries should be no less than 180 – 200 rated ……….. that’s then OK for 400 amp short bursts……….also make sure you protect the cable by using a good quality split sleeve.

Thanks Ian

Ok we can't all have Vcough8's.. ;):lol:

I was thinking of using 35mm 300 amp welding earth cable from MVF. this should be enough for the job?

what is Split sleeve??

what is Split sleeve??

Convoluted plastic tube with a split along the side that you use to protect exposed wires. In this case to prevent the wire being chafed.

I agree with Ian that for the occasional short pull the standard battery - or a larger one fitted in it's place - will be fine. If you start doing longer or repeated pulls then a second battery is a must. What is the alternator output on a Vitara anyway? That may be a limiting factor.

Chris

What is the alternator output on a Vitara anyway?

a good point. prob 45Amps at a guess.

i would suggest as Ian says above for something like 7S, play days. do some of those then if you want to get into the challenge scene, try it and see how its goes. then you can upgrade to twin batteries and new alternator (dependent on current on exisiting one). I run FIAM batteries from MVF, they do the job no problems.

depends what you wanna do. occasional short pulls probably ok, but for me i would fit larger Bat and bigger alternator.

fairly easy job to fit one from say the bug eyed scorpio. gives you a 90amp alt and less worries about killing your battery when you get more stuck than you originally planned! i used exide maxxima batteries and found them spot on. little pricey though but peace of mind cant be bought really. your wire sounds about the thign for the job. just rememerb if it aint moving dont just keep your fingr on the button!