Has anyone got....

Guest deleted

Guest diesel_jim

I'm making some outline plans for my next project rover.... a 110 SW on galvanised chassis.

i'm going to strip down my 90 and use the front end, get the rollcage extended, and get myself a 110 rear body (Ahem MarkT :ph34r:) and swap all my toys over onto it, making myself a decent long distance off roader (long distance as in Europe etc)

anyway, i've got a choice of getting a recon R380 from Ashcrofts, or fitting the Tdi ZF auto i had put aside for the 90.

does anyone drive an auto 110? i've currently got a standard (ish... big intercooler and tweeked fuel & boost) 300Tdi, although it'll eventually have a 2.8 Tdi in it), so whats the concensus of it? the 110 will weigh a bit, will the auto struggle? as i'll be using it for laning in the UK as well, obviously i will want to retain its good cross country ability (as is hill descents etc) where 1st low is ideal... the auto won't be as good for this.

am i better flogging the autobox kit off and putting the money towards a new manual box? :unsure::unsure:

cheers all.

A 110 doesn't really weigh too much different to a Discovery at typical kerb weight (may be different if fully loaded for a long trip) so I guess if the rest of the gearing is about the same (bigger tyres but 1.4 t/box to compensate) it should drive much like a Tdi Discovery at low speeds, though I am sure the aerodynamics (if you can call them that!) will knock the stuffing out of it at higher speed.

That means I would hate it every time I pushed the accelerator and listened to the tdi auto moooooooooooooooooooo but it depends on what you want :)

Guest diesel_jim

That means I would hate it every time I pushed the accelerator and listened to the tdi auto moooooooooooooooooooo but it depends on what you want :)

yeah... all noise/revs and no extra "go".... :o

watch the classifieds for a ZF auto kit..... :rolleyes:

yeah... all noise/revs and no extra "go".... :o

watch the classifieds for a ZF auto kit..... :rolleyes:

go on, do it anyway and tell us if it is any good

if nothing else it will keep you out of mischief for a few weekends doing it then changing it all back again :)

somebody I know here has driven a TD with a 3 speed auto on (it was his fathers - an unusual apparently-SV conversion for some electricity board or something, with a massive hyd winch on the front) he said it was ok as long as you were not in any sort of a hurry but it wasn't exactly a ball of fire!

somebody I know here has driven a TD with a 3 speed auto on (it was his fathers - an unusual apparently-SV conversion for some electricity board or something, with a massive hyd winch on the front) he said it was ok as long as you were not in any sort of a hurry but it wasn't exactly a ball of fire!

That what mine is, but the last owner put the 200tdi in. It was a Southern Electricity board one. Mine has the Superwinch 525 hydraluic winch on it as well.

Do you have any more info on it as I do not know of any others, but was led to belive there was about 10 made.

Paul

Guest diesel_jim

Thanks John might well do.

I drove Bryn Hemmings challenge 90, although that was a truck cab and boosted to buggery, so not really a fair comparison to a 110.

I'm wondering if a manual would be more robust than auto. dunno, desicions desicions.

Like Stephen says, if i don't like it, it's only a weekends work changing bits over to make it manual again. :rolleyes: