Suspension lift

BogMonster

Can anybody comment on how much suspension lift you can get away with WITHOUT having any wobbly prop problems?

My 90-rear-springs-on-the-front-plus-rubber-isolator-rings mod has lifted the front bumper height about 60mm above what it was to start with (which was a bit below std due to the winch) and having been away for a run today, it has got to go as the UJ vibration is really noticeable when pulling hard in low range on soft ground and it can't be doing anything any good.

So one option is to refit the original springs with something like 1" spacers underneath, and retain the isolator rings, this will provide about 1.3" above what it was originally.

But - how much lift can you get away with and guarantee no vibration??

I will be mighty :angry: if the 2nd attempt has the same result!

Advice please .... who has done a lift without any vibration problems and how much did you get away with? Bearing in mind at all times please that I am a fussy bugger and the slightest wobble at the top of the gear lever will have all the toys exiting the pram again :):rolleyes::unsure::ph34r:

Ta

Stephen

Stephen, I can't see why you won't get away with 2". I have NO wobble with my setup. True, the steering is a little wandery at speed but I'll happily take it up to 70 (on Simex) and sit there for a couple of hours. Part of your problem may be that you've got quite soft springs meaning when you acclerate hard (in low) you're effectivly raising the front up some more. As you know I'm pretty seriously fussy when it comes to drivetrain and if I wasn't happy I wouldn't still be using a standard (well TD5 high angle) prop on the front of my truck :D

Stephen, I can't see why you won't get away with 2". I have NO wobble with my setup

Will, I guess you ain't as fussy as me :lol:

I don't know why it is causing a problem, the steering feels fine, just that damned wobble :angry:

Pulling fairly hard across soft ground in 3rd low this morning the gearlever was wobbling about 3/4 inch side to side with the prop vibration (it wasn't doing that pre-lift) raise the speed & get it into 4th and the gearlever shake disappears but you can still "feel" it through the vehicle - if your seat of the pants is as tetchy as mine! I think the gearlever wobble is just a harmonic resonance with the frequency of the vibration hitting the resonant frequency of the engine/transmission on its rubber mounts.

High speed on road is not really the problem (though I am sure I can still feel something) it is just high torque/low speed situations that are the problem. 1st high and 3rd low with ~ 2000rpm and a lot of throttle, i.e. towing on road or, as I was this morning, bombing through some boggy camp :)

Had to take to the camp because some bugger dug up the road:

corralcreek1.jpg

corralcreek2.jpg

Stopped for a look, a chat and some photos and then the detour was about 20 min to get around the head of the creek across some "interestingly soft in places" ground which was fun :) 4th low difflock, plant it and hang on, tread lightly my ar&& :lol:

I don't know exactly what the ride height on mine is compared to a completely std 90 front end, but its about 60mm higher than it was before I changed the springs over, I don't have a std 90 on 265s to measure unfortunately. But the front on mine now sits higher than the back. It's a frggn nuisance as the setup is otherwise ideal for what I need, just needs a bit of extra height at the back to make it sit level and it would have been fine :(

Steve, if you've reaised it 60mm from what it was then you may find the from prop is at the limit of its stretch and it's this that's causing the vibration.

I found this on the Disco with a 3" lift & I fitted the Carden jointed front prop. I ended up making a 10mm thick spacer to go between the diff flange & the propshaft.

The drawing of the spacer is here and here's a before & after pic. :D

1985-1124975233.jpg

Pulling fairly hard across soft ground in 3rd low this morning the gearlever was wobbling about 3/4 inch side to side with the prop vibration (it wasn't doing that pre-lift) raise the speed & get it into 4th and the gearlever shake disappears but you can still "feel" it through the vehicle - if your seat of the pants is as tetchy as mine! I think the gearlever wobble is just a harmonic resonance with the frequency of the vibration hitting the resonant frequency of the engine/transmission on its rubber mounts.

Hell Stephen i thought they all wobbled about lift or no lift, i know mine does and i like your "take" on harmonics, that covers a lot :)

It definitely didn't wobble like that before I raised the front end so it has to be something to do with that.

Don't think there is a problem with anything seized - the vehicle is only 18 months old so there had better not be! It's due for a service anyway so it can be checked then. It has the new type Td5 front prop on it (with the big UJ's) though I doubt that makes any difference one way or the other.

It definitely didn't wobble like that before I raised the front end so it has to be something to do with that.

Don't think there is a problem with anything seized - the vehicle is only 18 months old so there had better not be! It's due for a service anyway so it can be checked then. It has the new type Td5 front prop on it (with the big UJ's) though I doubt that makes any difference one way or the other.

Its only 18months old but its been used off road a fair bit and in a fairly harsh envoroment. One thing to try is take it out for a good drive and then pop underneith and feed the UJs, if one's warm its on the way out.

One thing to try is take it out for a good drive and then pop underneith and feed the UJs, if one's warm its on the way out.

Thats a good tip Will....never thought of that one i usually wait till they are "floping" around :)