Front propshaft play

Hi to all, another newbie has joined the forum.

I have just bought a 90 2.5TD (19J) to go shooting with and as a weekend project. Overall she is sound structurally and mechanically, with one exception. Where there is no play in the rear prop, there seems to be a lot of movement in the front one. It doesn't appear to be UJs either. Diff or transfer box? Any ideas? Is it a common fault?

Also, can I mate and R380 and trans box to the 19J? Is there a bellhousing available?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Woody

what sort of play, rotational or lateral?

as above for rotational - they do have alot of play in them compared to conventional vehicles

if its lateral where is the play

you can check UJ by using a pry bar in them or just wobbling the prop up and down and ditto where it does in the diff nose and T box. expect about 1mm movement on the front of the T box. UJ shoudl have any lateral movement in them.

Also, can I mate and R380 and trans box to the 19J? Is there a bellhousing available?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Woody

You will need the "short" bellhousing and 50A prefix R380, both of which are like rocking horse poo. Basically the 300Tdi is in a different place in the chassis to a 19J so the "standard" Defender R380 fit puts it all in the wrong place when fitted to a 19J. Disco bellhousings are different still. If its not busted, stick with what you have got, if it is bust, get a 2nd hand or recon LT77 gearbox - same as what you have. You can however swap transfer boxes round - physically they are all the same - ratios do vary through.

Thanks to all for the help.

I thought the R380 might be a problem. Nice to know the transfer boxes are interchangable though.

I'll admit now, ashamedley that despite working with these things in the MOD for years AND knowing the handbrake was actually on the transmission, I had the handbrake on for the initial test. :rolleyes:

There is a slight clunk from the driveline as the slack is taken up when driving, could this still be diff or trans box? I might change the UJs anyway as there is a little play.

Basically. all I want to do is get her mechanically sound. I'm doing the discs, pads, drums, shoes and CV joints this weekend. The brakes are v. poor at present (My other car is a 5.7 V8 with monster 6 pot brakes though so anything else seems a bit poor) and the Front axle is clacking like a sod on full lock either way.

I've got a new drivers wing on the way, doesn't look hard to change, any tips.

I'm also looking for a second hand truck cab and a bonnet if anybody knows where I can get them cheap.

One more question. The clutch seems to bite particularly high. Can this be attributed to a worn clutch or is the master cylinder link adjustable?

Guest WALFY
Thanks to all for the help.

I thought the R380 might be a problem. Nice to know the transfer boxes are interchangable though.

I'll admit now, ashamedley that despite working with these things in the MOD for years AND knowing the handbrake was actually on the transmission, I had the handbrake on for the initial test. :rolleyes:

There is a slight clunk from the driveline as the slack is taken up when driving, could this still be diff or trans box? I might change the UJs anyway as there is a little play.

Basically. all I want to do is get her mechanically sound. I'm doing the discs, pads, drums, shoes and CV joints this weekend. The brakes are v. poor at present (My other car is a 5.7 V8 with monster 6 pot brakes though so anything else seems a bit poor) and the Front axle is clacking like a sod on full lock either way.

I'm also looking for a second hand truck cab and a bonnet if anybody knows where I can get them cheap.

Where abouts are you. I know of a couple of truckcabs forsale.

at that age everything will clunk ;) Probably a combination of gearboxes, difs and drive members.

Have you looked in the tech archive?

One more question. The clutch seems to bite particularly high. Can this be attributed to a worn clutch or is the master cylinder link adjustable?

The clutch should self-adjust for wear. The peddle box should be adjusted to that it as about 2mm of play at the top.

Do you know what condition the master/slave and fluid are like?