LPG not filling

mad_pete

I have twin torpedo LPG tanks and they don't want to fill up. I can get £5 - £8 pounds in but they should take £30. For a while I could get £15 pounds in like only 1 tank was filling but now its getting less and less. Any ideas ? The filler gauge never works so I have no idea how much is in there but tapping the tanks they don't sound very full.

Check the filling valves haven't vibrated shut

What size are the tanks?

What was the maximum you got in from new?

Normal fill is 80% of tank volume, assuming ALL the air is vented off.

Was this done?

I put a few litres in each tank on mine, and then shut the valves and removed the tanks, tuneed them upside down, which puts the dip tube at the top, and cracked the outlet valve to vent off the air.

The tanks hold 60 litres and its to x 35 litres I think. It was installed when I got it. To start with it took £30 ( 60 litres). Then the LPG station at liphook only filled £15 up and now the one in Southseaonly gives me £7. How do I check the valves haven't vibrated shut ?

The tanks hold 60 litres and its to x 35 litres I think. It was installed when I got it. To start with it took £30 ( 60 litres). Then the LPG station at liphook only filled £15 up and now the one in Southseaonly gives me £7. How do I check the valves haven't vibrated shut ?

Oh and the system is 6 years old

The tanks should have a cover over the valve units. - About 6" in diameter.

Under this is the valve unit. There should be two knurled screws which are the inlet and outlet valves. Just make sure these are fully open.

It is worth knowing that different garages may have different pressure setting on the pump as well.

HTH

The tanks should have a cover over the valve units. - About 6" in diameter.

Under this is the valve unit. There should be two knurled screws which are the inlet and outlet valves. Just make sure these are fully open.

It is worth knowing that different garages may have different pressure setting on the pump as well.

HTH

Okay thanks. Petersfield I have seen others have problems with too. I think there is supposed to be a changeover valve or something that detects the first tank is full and changes over to fill the second. Can they go wrong ?

I think there is supposed to be a changeover valve or something that detects the first tank is full and changes over to fill the second. Can they go wrong ?

Think my system has a simple t piece for the filling line, and a shuttle valve arrangment for the outlet so that the liquid is always drawn from the tank with the highest pressure. Not a change over as such as both tanks empty at more or less the same rate.