noisy transfer box

gavo

Hi i have got a whining transfer box(which i was told about before i purchased the discovery) and was wondering how to check the oil level it is automatic transmission.

I have checked the auto box oil and it was filled way over the limit so will drain down to the correct limit this afternoon,but what i want to know is do both auto box and the transfer box share there oil or are they independant if so where do i check the oil level for the transfer box.

The transfer box fill plug on the side is also the level indicator, basically fill it till it just starts to run out of the hole and that's your level.

On the auto box you did check it with the gearbox cold, the engine running box in neutral ( having slowly cycled the shift through the gears a couple of times) didn't you ;) . Other wise the level will be reading high but actually be correct.

HTH

Pete.

Hi Gavo,

I, too, am cursed by a whining transfer box. Changing the oil didn't do anything for the noise, but at least it has a nice shot of high-quality oil in it :) . Can I suggest fitting a nice set of knobbly tyres to hide the noise...? :D

As Raceface stated, checking the auto oil level when warm will give a falsely high reading. ATF (auto trans fluid) expands significantly when warmed up. Some transmissions (late-model 6-speed ZFs for instance) have a defined temperature at which you should check the levels to get an accurate read.

On a side-note... I've heard urban-legend type rumours of Discos locking up their transfer boxes (as in siezing), causing a rapid trip off to the side of the road with smoke pouring off the tyres, assuming it's not on it's roof by then... A former collegue stated they also knew of someone who had it happen to them in the UK, and Land Rover unofficially admitted it was a known (but very low-incidence) issue. Apparently the earlier built ones had the issue. Is there any truth to this? Has anyone experienced it, are there any warning signs? (like a noisy transfer box :ph34r: )

I did check when cold and in neutral and it was still very high but will check again today.

The urban myth is very true i had a 92 discovery that the transfer box give out on coming down the motorway but luckly it didnt lock up just loads of noise and alot of juddering with no warning.

On a side-note... I've heard urban-legend type rumours of Discos locking up their transfer boxes (as in siezing), causing a rapid trip off to the side of the road with smoke pouring off the tyres, assuming it's not on it's roof by then... A former collegue stated they also knew of someone who had it happen to them in the UK, and Land Rover unofficially admitted it was a known (but very low-incidence) issue. Apparently the earlier built ones had the issue. Is there any truth to this? Has anyone experienced it, are there any warning signs? (like a noisy transfer box :ph34r: )

I had this happen, my fault as it had an oil leak and I didn't bother fixing it or topping the oil up. I did have about 20 miles of noise (mechanical pain not whine) which got me home before it locked.