200TDi 90 - knocking from back on de-clutch

1993 Defender 90 200TDi 103k miles (just run in!)

On declutching in the lower gears there is an initial "clunk" noise as the transmission slack is taken up.

It certainly sounds like it comes from the back of the vehicle and not under the seats where the gear/transfer boxes are.

There are no leaks from the diff and the rear propshaft does not appear to have any external major defects!

The front prop-shaft and UJ's are new (previous owner) to reduce some of this nosie I think.

What should I look for / move about with a pry bar to find out what this noise is or where it is coming from?

My first guess would be to check the rear prop UJs are ok and all the bushes on the back? Help required yet again please?

Which ones are likely to go/prone to go to explain this noise? Any technique to finding out what it is?

Must say, being a general petrol head and been regular contributor to the RSOC and Scoobynet (yes my other car is a Subaru!) that this BBS site is one of the technically most useful and responsive without the usual "noise". Thanks guys.

Jon

The clunk from a worn gearbox input shaft gear does sound as if it's coming from the back of the vehicle when you are sat in it. Normally you only hear it when you are pulling away unless it's badly worn, when it will do it on every gearchange.

A-frame ball joint will clunk, as will excessive play in the diff or driveshaft splines.

Les.

Nice one, a recon gearbox has already been purchased from MTS in Stourbridge and is awaiting installation. When I had the rear hubs off last week the half shaft splines looked fine and had little movement on the diff.

Hence will see what the gearbox swap does for the noise and if it still remains will take my attention to the A-frame ball joint.

You can remove the rear cover and bearing carrier from the transfer case while it's still in situ and see if there is excessive play in the input shaft/gear. With the rear wheels still on the ground, try to lever the A-frame ball joint housing upwards - there should be no play at all.

Les.

If you fit a recon main gearbox it should have a new mainshaft at least. Then you MUST change the input gear in the LT230 so as not to stuff up your nice new (and very expensive) output shaft. But the LT230 new gear is quite cheap.

If you have access to a TIG welder you can weld your drive members to your half shafts which cuts out any clunk from there. Mine were done about 7 years ago and are still fine. Don't do it with a stick or MIG welder as it won't work. The weld will break. Also don't weld on the inside as that will also cause breakage.