Bent rear crossmember

AJL

Having dented the rear offside wing 12 months ago by sliding into a tree at Bampton I thought i'd invest in some rear quarter protection. So i bought some Scrapiron type rear bumperettes.

Now as I remember Mr Cordell saying in the past whilst i was commenting on Will Warn's pair he'd fitted he wasnt keen on them as he thought they were too tough and an impact would bend the crossmember.

Well my wife took the 110 out the other day to deliver some cubscouts somewhere or other and in her wisdom attempted a 3point turn in a 110 in a devon lane - not the best manouver and connected the offside rear with a granit wall :o now i've got the end of my crossmember bashed in by approx 1 1/2 to 2 inches. no mark at all on the bumperette!

Now without replacing the whole cross member how would u go about pulling it back into shape?

i dont have a jig puller so thats out :rolleyes: i did consider using the Mile Marker attatched to a tree with the corner anchored down to another but thats putting a horrible load offset straight through the vehicle. Another idea I had was to attach it to a mates 15 tonne swing shovel via a strop from the corner fron anchored down with a bridle to a tree and giving it a gentle tug!! :unsure:

Any comments? How would you go about it?

James

I connected the bumper to a BIG tree then reversed serveral times checking in between tugs till I fixed the dent in my bumper.

those corner protectors will cause far more dm#amage than they save if you land on them for instance the river bed run at bampton if you enter it you drop onto the rear crossmember, landing on one of those will do serious damage IMHO the TD5 crossmember isn't reknown for its strength.

I'd straighten yours then sell them on ebay. :D

James

I connected the bumper to a BIG tree then reversed serveral times checking in between tugs till I fixed the dent in my bumper.

those corner protectors will cause far more dm#amage than they save if you land on them for instance the river bed run at bampton if you enter it you drop onto the rear crossmember, landing on one of those will do serious damage IMHO the TD5 crossmember isn't reknown for its strength.

I'd straighten yours then sell them on ebay. :D

Tony, you are right that if you land on it in the wrong way you'll do a lot of damage (especially with a TD5 chocolate x-member :o ) but, the time I was very thankful to have them was coming out of a punch at Mike Wolfe 2: I was driving out of a section, the rear wheel found a root and followed it into a tree. It hit the corner protector hard bending the crossmenber a couple of degrees. If it hadn't been there it would have destroyed the back end of the tub. I think I can probably get away with more aswell as the cage mounts the the edge of the x-member giving it more support. As I said before, I think its just swings and roundablouts, sometimes they help, sometimes they do the opposite. :unsure: