Rear Hub Oil seal fitting

Can someone confirm for me the correct depth for the inner and outer seals on my rear drum braked axles (22S08712B)?

Looking at the old seals the Inner Seal is almost flush with the outer surface of the hub and the Outer Seal seems to be about 8 to 9mm recessesed to the outer surface.

Looking at the manuals....

Haynes Serverice manual just says put new seals to the same depth as originals... and does mention different axles numbers.

Haynes Restoration manual... suggests 4.8 to 5.3mm for both seals but again doesnt mention different axles.

The official Land Rover workshop manuals refers to the same 4.8 to 5.3mm for early axles, but the section for later axles (from 22S08284B) just say use the special tools and doesn't give a depth.

My assumtion is that the later axle is also 4.8 to 5.3mm as well?

Also does anyone know if it is easy to get hold of the server tool LST550-5. If it wasn't that expensive it would make things easier.

-

Many thanks

Nick

I just pushed mine in my hand about 5mm-ish. I had sure any rust around the stub axle at the other ends to the axle threads was clean of any rust.

From memory guess it is quite hard to get them too wrong since they would either hit the bearing outer or be pushed inwards by the chamfer on the stub axle? Stand to be corrected though.

Also make sure you axle breather are is clear and you can blow air through it. Changed my inner and outer oil seals to then find one side was still leaking, cured with a new axle breather (banjo bolt and pipe set).