Replacement doors

I opened the driver's door this afternoon and a fairly large chunk of door frame dropped at my feet. I was planning on replacing the door as both the skin and frame were on their way out, but had intended to wait until after Christmas. It looks like the job is now rather more urgent...

Anyway, having had a look around I've found that new, replacement doors (sans glazing and fittings) range from £185 to £300 or so (ex VAT).

My question is, is there much difference in quality between the "cheaper" ones and the more expensive ones?

have you thought about getting a 2nd hand pair?

I've looked at quite a few second-hand doors - most have been rubbish. I don't see much buy in paying out good money for a door with a frame that needs to be repaired and a skin that's badly corroded. The few good ones have been around the £150 mark, which is not much less than the cheapest new ones.

Actually, scrapyards tell me doors are among the first things to go when they get a scrap Defender in. Now there's a surprise! :rolleyes:

I've been keeping an eye on eblag, but doors tend to be collection only (even when I offer to arrange collection with a courier) and I live in NE Scotland.Of course, it can also be difficult to gauge condition.

A pair of new doors (driver's and passengers) did appear on eblag a fortnight ago, but they didn't meet the reserve plus they were pickup only. They would have fitted the bill nicely!

Craddock had a pair of complete doors as well, which went for £105 but they were well rotted at the bottom of the frame and if I was going to repair them, I might as well repair mine! The skins didn't look to bad, though.

I'd prefer to get solid used doors or new ones, then fill them with waxoyl as I intend keeping this Defender for a good few years.

One solution might be to buy frames and skins separately. A friend did this, had the frames galvanised and then put rubber padding between the contact surfaces to prevent the steel and aluminium coming in contact.

I've been keeping an eye on eblag, but doors tend to be collection only (even when I offer to arrange collection with a courier) and I live in NE Scotland.Of course, it can also be difficult to gauge condition.

There are lots of good stuff on Fleabay which are collection only. But I discovered Parcels2go.com who will pick up and deliver all over UK. Got a set of 4 Freestyle wheels and tyres delivered from the Midlands to Northumberland for £39. Arrived in 2 days, no problems at all. Seemed like a great bargain to me as the round trip would have been over 450 miles (or nearly £100 in fuel) plus a day off work plus the horrors of driving thru Brum !

There are lots of good stuff on Fleabay which are collection only. But I discovered Parcels2go.com who will pick up and deliver all over UK. Got a set of 4 Freestyle wheels and tyres delivered from the Midlands to Northumberland for £39.

Yip - used them too.

Fleabay doors - If its the ones I bid on myself they were in Humberside and went for about £20 less than your local Landy Dealer sell them for. They were the later versions and needed a few different fittings as well (according to my local Landy dealer). LR sell 'bare doors' for about £185 (for the front's).

I'm looking to replace all 5 of my doors at the moment then get the whole thing re-sprayed. It will still be a load cheaper than an 07 Defender! I Will fill/cover the doors with Dinatrol and hope that they outlast me!

Thanks for all that. Dunc, the only problem with your suggestion was that after working my way down the page I discovered I'd have a bill approaching £1,000 - before I got to the driver's door!!! Too many tempting bits...

LOL

Yeah, that is the problem with sites like that