200 TDi ignition key switch

Peterla

Can anyone tell me how to replace my ignition key switch as mine is worn out.

It looks like the switch is rivited and clamped to the steering shaft.

Can a second hand switch be used to replace my old one as not sure how to replace the rivets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Peter

The 'rivets' are security bolts. When they are tightened the head snaps off so that they theoretically can't be undone. A centre punch, hammer, and a bit of patience will undo them however and the switch can easily be replaced. Either use M8 coarse allen bolts to replace the security items, or buy new bolts from the usual suppliers.

Les.

The 'rivets' are security bolts. When they are tightened the head snaps off so that they theoretically can't be undone. A centre punch, hammer, and a bit of patience will undo them however and the switch can easily be replaced. Either use M8 coarse allen bolts to replace the security items, or buy new bolts from the usual suppliers.

Les.

Thanks Les

The punch worked fine after I dropped the steering coloum so I could get to them.

Pete

Thanks Les

The punch worked fine after I dropped the steering coloum so I could get to them.

Pete

other way would be is to use a thin cutting disc and make a slot in the security bolt

that way u can just use a screw driver to undo it

think you only need to undo the one nearest the ignition barrel which would still leave

1 security bolt untouched