Turbo question.

Les Henson

Can you strip a turbo down to clean it ?

The one on the engine on catflap is hard to turn and I'm a bit worried about it spinning up for the first time. The oil that came out of the engine was really thick - perhaps three times thicker than EP90. The engine was burning oil for quite a while and is very sooty on the hot side and the cold side has some oil in it.

There doesn't appear to be any special tools required to take one apart, so has anyone done it or knows if it's possible?

I only want to strip it far enough to clean it and free the shaft and bearing from the thick oil that's in there.

Thanks.

Les. :)

Yup, I'm with Tony on this one - it's going to be doing 100,000rpm when it's running, so if it's been badgered by bad oil then I'm afraid you need a new one. Brake cleaner to get the gack out / drive it further into the bearings, then a smear of light oil over the running surfaces and get some proper engine oil into it manually before you start the engine.

Compressor housing is held on with a big 'C' Clip.... remove this and the compressor (inlet) housing will come off (make sure you don't damage the 'O' ring)...

Exhaust housing is held on with four bolts (which usually snap) remove these and the exhaust housing will come off.

Clean them to your hearts content, and put them back togther.

It is only if you try and strip the internals further that you will run into problems.

The compressor housing and exhaust housing pay no part in the balancing etc etc.

Get me later on MSN if you want any more info....

Did I mention I've got a fully reconditioned turbo for a Td at home??? Bought for mine, but no use now as have got my 200Tdi fitted - was going to ring the reconditioners to see if they'd have it back.

Ian