Battery and maybe starter(?) problems

dan9090

Help needed again i'm afraid.....

Never had any problems starting whatsoever

Last week had snorkel and breathers fitted (great!!! :rolleyes: ) but maybe the guy shorted something cuz...

Then, she started "clicking" when you turned the ignition, just one click each time (like a relay click) and no sound of the engine trying to turn. She'd always start on like the 9th/10th go.

Then went offroading and the above problem stopped!! But, later in day she had flat battery. Jumped her a few times and gave her good runs but still had a flat (either not trying to charge or not taking a charge).

Went to jump her today to get down to battery place and.....

first few attempts she was turning over but not enough juice to start her then.....

after 5 minutes of trying she stops turning over and now each time you turn ignition all I get is a nasty mechanical grinding noice and vibration through the gearstick, no electrical sounds whatsoever. :o

Aghhhhh!! :unsure: Missus isn't gonna be happy if this costs much.

Any ideas? Im a novice so go easy on the technical mechanical terms please!!! cheers, dan

Guest diesel_jim

Just sounds like the starter is dead. the "clicking" could either be the solenoid full of poo, or the main starter full of poo and stopping the brishes from connecting well with the commutator.

you could try stripping it right down and giving it a good clean up. some makes you can buy separate solenoid units (about £20), or even get them apart and clean them up, but most are "crimped" closed and a right pain to get apart.

Thanks for advice guys.

Had a mate look at it and he said the starter is spinning but teeth not meshing, either cuz they are warn down/snapped or cuz its stuck in out position due to being covered in muck.

Anyway, i need to get the starter motor off to see. I'm running a 2.5 TD and apparently I need to take top of exhaust off to get to it. Had a look in tech forum for some advice as to where to start - this will be my first attempt at dissambelling anything under the bonnet.

any tips/links to help me get started on the dissambley would be great..... or do i just go any buy a Haynes manual?

cheers

dan

tips/links to help me get started on the dissambley would be great..... or do i just go any buy a Haynes manual?

I reckon it's worth buying a Haynes - they're pretty good for most things Land Rover.

Not sure on a TD, but in general:

Remove gubbins to get access to the starter. This could be airbox, washer tank, exhaust downpipe etc. It's worth making yourself extra space to work in.

Disconnect battery earth.

Disconnect live wires to starter

Disconnect solenoid live.

Unbolt buts/stud holding starter in position. Access can be a PITA to these nuts. A combination of long extension bars or spanners with another spanner on the end for leverage works well.

Manoeuver starter out.

Watch you don't bash things like brake lines with the starter, as there's some weight in it when it's hanging from your fingertips.

Fix starter.

Refit.

Beer.

:P