Changing an LT77 without removing the floor?

I have to change a gearbox of a 110 in the near future.

I know how to change gearboxes (have done it before with series and RRC) But is it possible in a defender without removing the floor boards and tunnel? Lots of matting and kitting has been fitted so it would make a difference of several hours to the job..... (which is always a bonus!)

I've got a 4 post bridge and transmission jack so everything sorted in that department.

Cheers Bowy

The top bell housing bolts are going to be a PITA,

gbox2.JPG

and i don't think you'll get the box back far enough to slide off, before the gear levers foul.

gbox1.JPG

The transfer lever scrapped the seatbox.

That's just my personal experience though.

Didn't think about the gearlevers. Just the bellhousing bolts. Out with the matting then :(

Thx for the input. Now plan a visit to Ashcroft.

Cheers Bowy

Guest diesel_jim

Unless you remove the radiator, unbolt the engine from its mountings and lift & pull it forward a bit....

although by the time you've faffed around doing all that, you might as well bite the bullet and pull the floor up.

I suppose it'll at least let you see if the soundproofing has held any water that's caused rust. :(

If you lowered the engine/transmission down onto the front axle by removing the engine/gearbox mounts you could probably do it, but that would be just as awkward/time consuming as taking the floor out. A decent electric sctrewdriver makes taking the floor our a lot quicker than by hand.

Les.