fitting stage 1 brakes

02GF74

I have S3 lwt with 10 inch drum all round and have the parts to fit stage 1 drums. It has servo with the plastic type dual circuit master held on by roll pins (is that enough to identify it?).

--------------------------------- part 1 ---------------------------------

First question is pedal travel. To do complete stage 1 set up I should be fitting front cylinders to the rear so my first question is how will all of this affect brake pedal ravel? Atthe moment I have to push it very little for it to brake, Ive read stories of much increaded pedal travel but mainly from single circuit systems. Will I be ok with the master I have or do O need to change this?

Now the info. I have gathered over time is:

88" rear 1.00"bore

front 1.25" bore

stage 1 rear 1.25" bore (uses 88" front 88

front ? (part no. 600201 and 600200)

Knowing the bore sizes, except for stage 1 front - same dia. as 11 in drum lwb?; is it possible to predict the amount if additional pedal travel? Waht do I do if it is too much?

--------------------------------- part 2 ---------------------------------

I have had the rear step out on 2 occasions in the wet and wondering whether I should leave the rears as they are now or to fit 88 in. fronts as is recommended. Would this make the braking out of balance and give problems at MOT time?

--------------------------------- part 3 ---------------------------------

Is there any gasket between the back plate and axle? The parts I have are drums, back plates with their and springs, posts, bolts, shoes, cylinders, brake pipe and unions, so anything else I should get?

Is it a straighforward job of unbolting hub, back plate and bolting on the new stuff? Plan to take some of this year's holiday and get it done - bits have been sitting in the garage for over a year now - and don't want to be sha%%ed by some missing seal or gasket. And is there anything else I could be replacing when I have the bits apart?

firstly the parts u have should just bolt straight on, here is no gasket between brake backplate and stub axle if thats wot u r asking.

personally i'd leave the rear brake cylinders as standard cos u r swb rather than long, this would also give u less brake pedal travel ;)

the master u describe should be upto the job no probs

only other thing i can think u might need is different brake flexi hoses, 2a and 3 are different, imperial to metric

firstly the parts u have should just bolt straight on, here is no gasket between brake backplate and stub axle if thats wot u r asking.

personally i'd leave the rear brake cylinders as standard cos u r swb rather than long, this would also give u less brake pedal travel ;)

the master u describe should be upto the job no probs

only other thing i can think u might need is different brake flexi hoses, 2a and 3 are different, imperial to metric

Cheers Tonk.

Anyone want to buy a pair of bran new 88 in. front brake cylinders? :(

Not sure what you you mean by flexi since I should be able to use my existing braided ones as they attach to a union from which there is copper tubing :unsure: going to the cylinder.

The only other thing is plumbing the two cylinder at the front to avoid air locks - IIRC the bleed nipple is fitted to the lower one by factory but I heard that by fitting it to the top helps bleeding, hmmmm.....

Cheers Tonk.

Anyone want to buy a pair of bran new 88 in. front brake cylinders? :(

Not sure what you you mean by flexi since I should be able to use my existing braided ones as they attach to a union from which there is copper tubing :unsure: going to the cylinder.

The only other thing is plumbing the two cylinder at the front to avoid air locks - IIRC the bleed nipple is fitted to the lower one by factory but I heard that by fitting it to the top helps bleeding, hmmmm.....

by flexi i meant your hoses.

bleed nipple is fitted to the lower cylinders, easy bleed and u shouldn't get any probs.