CHALLENGE SOUTH WEST

Rick Tarr

Yarp... See you all there.

Tis a great shame that I, along with my winch bitch, am somewhat 'challenged' when it comes to Tulip diagrams- As we proved most impressively on the 2 dayer...

might you be the guy with the IBEX?

what a great day out, some good ideas and enjoyed the event, despite being slightly dazed after a branch 'just fell' off a tree.

Rick - a good day thank you and please pass our thanks onto Nigel and Chris again.

Yep - I think we have to thank Chris for his fab efforts and artwork preparing all the tulip diagrams, and Nigel for being the bloke to bring it all together. The event took a while to set up and the idea was to introduce a new concept in off-road challenge. On the day it was very apparent that everybody was out there hunting punches as always and it took a while for them to realise that it wasn't the punch reward being hunted but the challenge of beating the terrain in the most efficient manner possible.

As organisers we thought the route was easy-peasy. But were very surprised how much time it took to scamper around the course we had set, and I think the competitors were surprised how hard it could be to drive through a level (ish) slurry pit. Ruggerton as a site has been used a fair bit in the past and in all honesty it was getting difficult to think of anywhere to go which didn't just repeat old challenges. This new interpretation has given the sport another facet which means that an old and well-used site can throw up loads of new and different challenges.

We'd have liked more people to come and try the new concept but those that did seemed to enjoy it (flying branches and all :P )

We'll be having a club meeting to which all are welcome in a couple of weeks to discuss next year's calendar. Watch this space for further details...

Best regards Rick

Hi guys - just to say a big thank you to Rick, Nigel and Chris for all their hard work (and anyone else who was involved??!!) both in the build up and on the day- just a shame there were not more of us to enjoy the day out...

Just a couple of thoughts in relation to the 'alternative' format... I will skip over my clear inability to read a tulip diagram (really wish I had brought my three year old daughter who would probably have considered them a doddle to read!)... I would personally like there to have been more punches (yes another punch obsessed idiot!) spread throughout the course- not challenging themselves necessarily but enough to prove that you have been where you should have been (the route was challenging enough in places!!), and an easier way of scoring?- I was not entirely sure how the whole thing would have worked with just a completion time and a few punch scores counting? Also the format does not lend itself to us newbies- who on occasion feel the need to 'wimp' out on some sections- not really possible today without losing any points accrued?- and who are likely to hold up others caught behind us in what was a defined route. Yes I know there was plenty of passing places in general- but had someone been stuck behind me in some of the longer sections they would quite rightly have been frustrated at my somewhat slow progress. Just my thoughts...

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable day out- appart from the wish list growing yet still- 1. Faster winch 2. Roll cage 3. Ground anchor that actually anchors!! 4. Simex...

And finally a big thank you to whoever chose going straight through the dung heap as a good route... Not only did it destroy an 8274 motor but I also managed to get it all over my corned beef and pickle roll... nearly had to throw it away!! :angry:

Shrek