Brake Caliper overhaul - lube required??

I'm just replacing the pistons and seals in my front calipers and was keen to get it done tonight.

Defender workshop manual refers to using Brake Lubricant when reassembling so I went to get some today and couldn't get any in the 3 local shops / motor factors.

Haynes manual etc just states to coat the seals in brake fluid before re-assembly.

Am I just being a bit to fussy ... or is there genunie benefit for using the proper lubricant.

Thanks

Nick

Use the same brake fluid as you are using in the braking system. Meths to clean and brake fluid to reassemble.

Les.

Don't know particularly about brake seals but I tend to stay clear of IMS ('meths') on rubber goods :ph34r: as it can degrade some and make others swell. (this is getting worse ... ;) )

AndyG

Thanks Chaps thats confirmed for me, I'll used brake fluid..

I think when Les mentioned Meths, he is refering to the cleaning the calipers bores only, not the seals... then a nice dry out.

Thanks once again..... off out to the garage.

Nick