Kumho KL71 Tyre Supply Issues

ChrisB

Hi,

I'm trying to get hold of some KL71s (after reading a couple of threads on the forum), but it seems that they are very hard to come by in the UK. I currently run 235/85 Colway MTs on 16" Alloys on my Disco, I'd like to have KL71s in a size as close to that as possible. Does anyone have any links to the trade who could shed a bit more light on the problem, or offer any advice on the closest size I could happily fit please?

I don't really want to lose the alloys to go to a 15" rim size if I can help it.

Many thanks

Chris

I know KL71s are available now as 225/75R16 and 265/75R16, but I'm not sure if the 235/85R16 size are available in the KL71 pattern yet (we haven't had any but I haven't tried to get any recently as it isn't a popular size here - too narrow) but I think that is all you will get in 16" sizes. The 225s will definitely fit a Discovery but the 265s probably won't unless you have got quite a lift on - but then you must have a lift to be fitting 235/85?

Some of the Kumho sizes are still only available in the old 834 MT pattern, Kumho seem to be changing over to the new pattern gradually size by size rather than all at once. I know the 31x11.50R15 are still only available in the old pattern, for example, but I don't know the status of the 235/85R16 size at the moment.

Personally I would stick with BFG MT's though.

I know KL71s are available now as 225/75R16 and 265/75R16, but I'm not sure if the 235/85R16 size are available in the KL71 pattern yet (we haven't had any but I haven't tried to get any recently as it isn't a popular size here - too narrow) but I think that is all you will get in 16" sizes. The 225s will definitely fit a Discovery but the 265s probably won't unless you have got quite a lift on - but then you must have a lift to be fitting 235/85?

Some of the Kumho sizes are still only available in the old 834 MT pattern, Kumho seem to be changing over to the new pattern gradually size by size rather than all at once. I know the 31x11.50R15 are still only available in the old pattern, for example, but I don't know the status of the 235/85R16 size at the moment.

Personally I would stick with BFG MT's though.

Many thanks for your advice BogMonster.

I do have +2" lift on rear and HD/Std height springs on front (giving about +1"). My current 235/85 seem to be fine after camel cut and trim of plastic sill in back of the front wheelarch. I'm inclined to go for the 265/75 size - what do others think?

Chris

If you find some keep us posted as to wear, I saw some on a 90 a few weeks back that were ripped to shreads, worse than my BFGs!

They have something of a reputation for wearing out rather quickly here too, though it has to be said the problems seem to be mostly on vehicles such as Pajeros/Surfs (spit/spit) which run in 2WD on the road and are mostly driven by idiots. I wouldn't put too much money on a narrow tyre like a 235 lasting for too long, the old Kumho 834 235/85R16 tended to wear out fairly quickly and these will probably be worse if the other sizes are anything to go by.

Reports of their off road abilities vary from not that great to pretty good, but for that set I think I'll stick with the 13.50 Mudzillas I have got on order :)

I'm defiately in the not so great catagory regarding the off road capability of kl71 s . My mate has a set on his ninety (265/75r16).They are not very noisey on the road and seem ok off road in the dry. We used in the mud the other day and to be frank they were carp.