110 rear diff

My rear diff has been noisey since sodbury when after big bang and grinding noise we got big yellow taxi home. the rear pans rusted through and leaked alloil out. So do i just replace or repair/rebuild the existing diff but i i mean pay an expert. Cannot see any dammage looking at the diff with cover off

My rear diff has been noisey since sodbury when after big bang and grinding noise we got big yellow taxi home. the rear pans rusted through and leaked alloil out. So do i just replace or repair/rebuild the existing diff but i i mean pay an expert. Cannot see any dammage looking at the diff with cover off

The 110 Salisbury rear axle is a very robust unit, but if it has been run out of oil, and something went bang, a 'proper' rebuild is likely to be costly. The Salisbury is quite labour intensive to set up, as the complete diff cannot be removed as a unit from the axle, unlike the Rover type axle (like your front one), and set up on the bench.

It may well be more cost effective to find a complete second hand axle which has not been run out of oil. This is particularly true if your 110 is one of the older ones with drum brakes on the rear axle. These axles can be purchased relatively cheaply compared to the later disc braked Salisbury, which is in higher demand because owners often like to change from the drum brakes to the lower maintenance disc brakes.

Common areas for wear are the driving member/halfshaft splines.

It is certainly worth checking these on yours and any replacement you purchase.

Regards,

Diff

If you can't find a complete axle and you reckon your diff is still ok I've got a Salisbury axle casing going free. It's for drum brakes, not sure if that makes any difference. I think the only gripe with it is one of the spring retaining bolts sheared off so you'd need to drill and re-tap it or just weld a new nut under it.

Also the pinion seal leaks a bit, not enough to drip, but you'd have to get the pinion out anyway to re-adjust it for your diff.

Just a thought.

The 110 Salisbury rear axle is a very robust unit, but if it has been run out of oil, and something went bang, a 'proper' rebuild is likely to be costly. The Salisbury is quite labour intensive to set up, as the complete diff cannot be removed as a unit from the axle, unlike the Rover type axle (like your front one), and set up on the bench.

It may well be more cost effective to find a complete second hand axle which has not been run out of oil. This is particularly true if your 110 is one of the older ones with drum brakes on the rear axle. These axles can be purchased relatively cheaply compared to the later disc braked Salisbury, which is in higher demand because owners often like to change from the drum brakes to the lower maintenance disc brakes.

Common areas for wear are the driving member/halfshaft splines.

It is certainly worth checking these on yours and any replacement you purchase.

Regards,

Diff

its off a 2001 so disc braked shafts and flange spines are fine