Fuel Pump

Matt B

Hi helpful people,

I was hoping that you might continue to allow me to harvest your extensive knowledge...

I need to buy an electric fuel pump as I have lost the underslung tank as it was in the way of my 400mm chop :) . I had a shufty on e-bay and can get this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-90-110-DE...VQQcmdZViewItem

It states that it is for carbs which will be the case once my ECU has packed up but for the time being I'll be running injection, the motor is a 3.5 V8.

Will that be man enough for the injection system?

Thanks in advance

Matt

No - a carb pump produces ~4psi, an EFI one makes more like 50+psi which is regulated down to 37psi by the pressure regulator. Subaru pumps are cheap (£5-10) as all the scooby boys rip them out to fit uprated ones, but note they need to be in-tank or gravity/force fed - most EFi pumps do not like having to suck fuel up and will burn out very quickly. I use one of those pumps as my lift pump feeding into my EFi high-pressure pump.

Why ditch EFi for carbs? You'll lose ~20bhp and a load of driveability - if your ECU dies, replace it (stock ECU's aren't massive money these days) or fit MegaSquirt.

Thanks for that, the tank is an alloy race article so I can't use an in tank pump but I can easily mount the external pump below the tank.

The only real reason I want to ditch EFi is simplicity, I mistrust electricals as they don't like water and EMP (just in case I ever need to survive WW3 ;) )

Can you recommend a Scooby pump that's up to the job then?

Matt

Pretty much any EFI fuel pump from a car of equal or greater BHP than the 3.5 will suffice, which means anything from Cavalier 2.0 / Golf GTi upwards will work.

Electricals don't mind water at all - distributors mind, ECU's that live under your seat and fill with water mind, but with a bit of thought an EFi will run happily underwater. Mine does :P

I have relocated the ECU to the dash so that it isn't so prone to water. Thanks for the advice, I'm off to the local scrappy.

Matti have used peugeot 405 inj pump [s/h off scrap car] on my rrc rrc 4.5 je eng for 5 months no probs the engine is suposedlly pushing about 300 bhp so i recomend do the same about 10 to 15 quid dont spend money you dont have to