Td5 Power Steering Box

enduro1972uk

I have just discovered that i have a leak from the power steering box on my TD5, has anybody changed on of these themselves? If so how big of a job is it?

Been quite a year for leaks, first sunroof now power steering.

www.paddockspares.com do a replacement unit both new and reconditioned for between £230 and £300.

My local Landrover garage has told me it would be £400 for a reconditioned one fitted, i was wondering if it was worth the chew me doing it.

Available to buy easily, yes, but different to Defender seals so you need to get the right number.

To change them you take the box out clean it all up thoroughly and turn it upside down in a vice, trying to do it in the vehicle is nigh on impossible and a recipe for dirt, mangled seals and leaks. getting it right is by no means easy and many still leak but it is not an impossible job - main problem is the seal kits are quite pricey and how many unsuccessful goes do you give it at £30 odd a go for the basic seal kit and well over £100 for the full kit, before you give up in disgust and get a new box!

I have just discovered that i have a leak from the power steering box on my TD5, has anybody changed on of these themselves? If so how big of a job is it?

Been quite a year for leaks, first sunroof now power steering.

www.paddockspares.com do a replacement unit both new and reconditioned for between £230 and £300.

My local Landrover garage has told me it would be £400 for a reconditioned one fitted, i was wondering if it was worth the chew me doing it.

Its more of a fiddly job then a bad job.........quite a few pipes underneath to remove but it can be done in a few hours........you can get a recon one for around £200 + fitting