Useful thread/bolt size information

Orange

As there is already a pinned topic about specific tools for specific jobs, I wonder if one might be appropriate for those awkward threads and nuts and bolts that Land Rover throw in to keep us on our toes.

In particular (and as the first input to the thread) I was looking for the thread/bolt size for the bolts that hold the steering damper on the bottom of the diff nose so that I can fit a pair of QT style diff guards. After a while searching, I found THIS THREAD which gave the correct information and an exploded parts diagram.

Thread is 3/8BSF (British Standard Fine)

Bolt is 5/8" long

Apparently, there is the possibility of drilling and tapping with an M10 thread, but then you have to remember to do it to a new diff if you bust one.

Cheers Ralph (Western) and Tony (White90) for the info in the original post.

Just a thought...

I applaud the idea, but, if you are going to the trouble ...

Microcat has it right, it's a Screw, not a Bolt.

At 5/8" long the difference is perhaps insignificant, and in fact it may be very difficult to get a Bolt at that length, but I'm in favour of starting with a high standard.

:-))

I was going to contribute some information I've collected, but on closer examination it fits in the pinned 'Tool Sizes' thread.

I note that the Tools Sizes thread also contains some thread information, even the information Orange requested here, BUT it says 's in Post 8, 3/8" UNC, which really needs correcting, based on the Microcat print.

The one thread size I have noted is the Glow Plugs on a BMW 6 cylinder engine (38A Range Rover), which is Thread : M12x1,25 and takes a 12mm AF spanner.

As well as spanner / fastener styles I've also found it useful to collect sizes of O rings used to seal pipes, thermostat housings, etc, but again 38A usage, and calling for a third section.

So, Moderators, over to you, do you want to separate out the thread information, and the O ring / copper sealing washer information, or do you want it all in the 'Tool Sizes' thread?

:-))

Fair enough - thanks, David.... I never claim to be knowledgable about things like the differences between screws and bolts as there are far better educated people than I. Just thought it might be an idea...

I had a feeling that the info in the tools thread was wrong (having read the other one), and as MicroCat said it, it must be right...........right?!?!? Hahaha!!