Rear wash wipe.

Matt B

The other day I noticed that the wiper on the rear of my Disco had stopped working. It was working fine and then just wasn't. I checked the fuse which is fine, I then removed the connections and checked for a voltage at the motor which there appears to be (on the small two wired plug). I stripped the mechanism and checked the brushes on the motor - all of which looked good. The only point to note was that there was water in the gear housing and the grease had turned to gunk - the contacts under the gear were covered in mucky wet grease. I cleaned them up and put it all back together and then tested the motor which runs fine. I put it back on the car but it still doesn't work although it did run for a second or so where I guess it was realigning itself.

My question - is there a relay or ecu which might be fritzed? If so where is it?

Matt

Not sure on the electrical side of these things but on the last 2 disco's i have had the wiper motors gave problems - one was completely dead and the other had siezed where the drive to it passes through the rear door between motor and wiper, i found it made a huge difference unbolting the whole lot, cleaning it up and replacing it with the bit through door packed well with grease.

Daft question time.

Were you sitting in the driver's seat with the door open? If yes, close the door & retry.

On some Discoverys around this time, the rear wiper was tied in with the door switch & if open, won't allow it to operate.

Someone suggested this was a throw back to the Ra-Ro lift up tailgate.

Daft question time.

Were you sitting in the driver's seat with the door open? If yes, close the door & retry.

No actually I was standing by the car with the door open!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a blast whan I get home :)

Matt

I had a similar problem on my '96 Disco. I cleaned up the gears re-greased them and kept it going for another year before it finally gave up the ghost. I then fitted a brand new motor (£35 off ebay ) and it wouldn't work. Checked the wiring, voltage etc before a helpful neighbour suggested closing the door !! Perhaps Landrover thought no one would be daft enough to use the rear wiper with the drivers door open. :D

Jules