Heater Fan Motor

Bobtail

I NEED to change my heater fan motor (wish i'd done this in the summer)

Has any one changed one on a 89 Rangie?

What do i have to take out to get to it?

How long did it take you?

Is it a one man job or will i need two pairs?

Cheers

Jim

I NEED to change my heater fan motor (wish i'd done this in the summer)

Has any one changed one on a 89 Rangie?

What do i have to take out to get to it?

How long did it take you?

Is it a one man job or will i need two pairs?

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,

I have done the resistor pack on the motor whilst removing the air con system on a 93 RRC. The time and difficulty will depend on wether you have air con fitted? Basically the job involves removing the passenger dash panels and front panels by the heater controls (for ease of access). the motor can be then accessed via the passenger footwell. I have (fortunatly) not had to remove the whole motor but i hope this is of some help to you.

Roly

To be honest, if you're going there change the heater matrix as well.

You'll need to remove the lower dash, but it isn't difficult, just

time consuming.

Make sure you remember where all teh screws go for each dashpanel

and mark all wires you take off with tape.

I'ts not difficult. but you do have to remove a lot of trim, so just take

your time, make a note of everything you remove, change the motor, matrix,

put it all together and you'll be set again for another 20 years of happy RR ownership :rolleyes:

I did it in a relaxed manner over a weekend.

Hi Jim,

I have done the resistor pack on the motor whilst removing the air con system on a 93 RRC. The time and difficulty will depend on wether you have air con fitted? Basically the job involves removing the passenger dash panels and front panels by the heater controls (for ease of access). the motor can be then accessed via the passenger footwell. I have (fortunatly) not had to remove the whole motor but i hope this is of some help to you.

Roly

My motor is running slower than it should on all settings in proportion to the setting

Is it just the resistor pack that needs changing or is it the motor?

Cheers

Jim

(P.S will need to do something very soon as my nads are freezing off every time i drive it :-) )

Dead right by g-rover. I've got a 1989 RR and i did my heater matrix last year. G-rover's spot on, take your time, mark the wires and allow a weekend. Two things i'll recommend tho cos i learned the hard way.

1: When you get to the point of moving the heater unit out, the thermostat wire (silver, quite stiff) that goes across to the aircon unit just pulls out of the aircon end. I cut mine in a panic and it took ages to find a new one.

2: Also invest in new coolant pipes that go in/out of the heater matrix (back of the engine bay, fit onto matrix at the bulkhead). I tried to re-use mine and ended up with a footwell full of coolant.

It might make the job easier if you take the top of the dash out while you're there, it'll make manouvering the heater unit out alot easier. I didn't and ended up scratching it with the heater control sticks whilst waggling the unit out.

Makes my job sound like a bloody disaster! Wasn't too bad tho, ended up with a few nice new parts installed.

Good luck taking the heater unit apart to, more screws in that than i've had hot dinners. Hope it goes ok.

My motor is running slower than it should on all settings in proportion to the setting

Is it just the resistor pack that needs changing or is it the motor?

Cheers

Jim

(P.S will need to do something very soon as my nads are freezing off every time i drive it :-) )

If the motor is running slower than it should be AND you have aircon the heater resistor pack may have been moved to the engine bay and will now be in the form of air cooled coils (which rust easily!), this makes it easier to change and diagnose. Otherwise the resistor pack is situated inside the heater motor body and is relativly accessable.

Roly

Mine used to have air con when it was an EFI Auto

It has been converted to TDI using 91 disco engine and box

The Aircon has been removed

will this effect the running (speed wise) of the motor?

It still has the switch on the heater face because if you move switch to this position it turns heater fan off completely