Disco 11 suspension

marshall4771

Hi Guys,

This is my first post on your site so forgive me if the subject has been covered already.

I am the lucky owner of a 51 plate Disco 11 ES 7 seater. I am wanting to improve the ride, I run on 255/55 r18s using General AT2's. I am considering upgrading to OME shocks -

1 would this improve things ?

2 would I have to upgrade the springs as well ?

3 how would I deal with the rear air suspension ?

4 how much is yuor insurance loaded for such a modification ?

I mainly use the motor for road use with some weekend green laneing and I have been known to take it to Langdale Quest for a play,

many thanks for reading this

Shaun

IMHO if you want to improve the ride dump the 18s and get a set of 16" alloys but that's just my 2p. Hopefully somebody who has fiddled with their D2 suspension will be able to answer the other points - mine is still standard and running on 255/70R16 BFG AT's the ride is better than any other D2 I have ever been in.

IMHO if you want to improve the ride dump the 18s and get a set of 16" alloys but that's just my 2p. Hopefully somebody who has fiddled with their D2 suspension will be able to answer the other points - mine is still standard and running on 255/70R16 BFG AT's the ride is better than any other D2 I have ever been in.

Thanks for replying - that was my next option - getting some 16 inchers and sticking some taller tyres on them, how do you work out the total circumfrence of the wheel and tyre so that the speedo isnt effected ?

Shaun

255/55R18 and 235/70R16 and 255/65R16 are all near as dammit the same circumference and all have been factory sizes, or you can use one of the free online tyre size calculators like this:

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

or this:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

255/55R18 and 235/70R16 and 255/65R16 are all near as dammit the same circumference and all have been factory sizes, or you can use one of the free online tyre size calculators like this:

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

or this:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Thanks for that - those calculators will keep me amused for hours,

I'm still keen to hear about suspension mods though

Regards

Shaun

post-312-1195065376_thumb.jpg

I have a D2

with 255/70 r16 BFG AT's and I'm very happy with them (that is a ford Explorer size tyre) and there is no affect on the gearing

I use the new Bearmach shocks and springs which I set for a winch but as I have not fitted it yet the ride is a little hard but I have a 2" lift.

remember the air bags will need adjusting on the ecu and I went for some airbag spacers as the ride became very hard with the air bages running at higher pressure.

sorry the pic is not the best

post-312-1195065376_thumb.jpg

I have a D2

with 255/70 r16 BFG AT's and I'm very happy with them (that is a ford Explorer size tyre) and there is no affect on the gearing

I use the new Bearmach shocks and springs which I set for a winch but as I have not fitted it yet the ride is a little hard but I have a 2" lift.

remember the air bags will need adjusting on the ecu and I went for some airbag spacers as the ride became very hard with the air bages running at higher pressure.

sorry the pic is not the best

Cheers for the comments Jules, I take it that you still have the rear air suspension fitted ? I wondered about doing away with them in favour of a coil conversion kit.

The tyre choice seems popular, I take it there is no problem with snagging the wheel arch on full lock ?

Shaun

Cheers for the comments Jules, I take it that you still have the rear air suspension fitted ? I wondered about doing away with them in favour of a coil conversion kit.

The tyre choice seems popular, I take it there is no problem with snagging the wheel arch on full lock ?

Shaun

No the arches have loads of room

I wanted the truck to still remain as standard as posible that way it will not look too aggressive in the office car park but could stil be a good toy at the weekend.