Prices for 200Tdi rebuild and who to take it to?

friday

I'm pretty sure that at the moment I might not be able to afford a complete rebuild of the Disco 200Tdi I have waiting to go in my 90 however, as I don't know it's history, I think it might be wise to start budgeting for a worst case scenario.

The only guy I know who I've had previous experience with is Charlie and the boys at CTM Engineering in Dagenham. They do excellent work but they're more into performance engines. What kind of money would we be talking for a complete rebuild with OEM parts? Of course it would be great to uprate the internals, cams and get some headwork but I know this would all carry an added price tag to match, and with money being a wee bit tight it's unfortunately probably not an option.

Also, who would people recommend? Is it a case of take it to the pro's or are there a few experienced amateurs that will take on this sort of job (and I use that word in a totally non-derogatory sense, as I know that more often than not, those "amateurs" can know more than the "pro's"! :)) ?

Cheers,

Leigh.

I'm currently remanufacturing a 300TDi engine - using Genuine parts. You really need to know exactly what your engine needs and how far you want to go. Replacing the rings if that's all that's required is a damned-sight cheaper than a rebore and new piston kits. If the engine is stripped, then it's always wise to replace the crank and cam shells, re-seat the valves, and all seals and gaskets.

Les.