Keeping plasma on the winch drum...

sorry to bring this up again but is it posible to weld half a chain link to the centre of the drum without stripping the winch down, i dont want to melt anything and dont have time to remove the winch and strip it down before the weekend,

thanks

martin

I would suggest that in the centre of the drum would be no problem... basically it is just a metal tube with a shaft running in the middle with a clearance of at least 10mm all the way around. I would not recommend trying it at the motor end as the end plate of the drum runs directly on a plastic bush- yes PLASTIC FFS... which might not like getting too hot!

You might get away with it at the gearbox end but go steady with the heat as this also runs in a plastic bush- although much larger and therefore much further away from where you would be heating. There is also a roller bearing inside the drum at this point to carry the shaft inside but I left the bearing in when I had my quarter loop TIG'd on at that end and it was fine- got a grown up to do the welding for me!!! ;)

Having said all that.... I went for the loop at one end of the drum as I am not sure how well the line would spool with it started from the centre- I am sure someone who knows will be along in a minute...

I don't see the need for this welded link malarky :P

i just spliced a small eye into the end, (all credit to SimonrR for that idea) fed that end throught the fairlead, around the drum, back out through the fairlead and then threaded the hook end through the loop and pulled all the line through.

I now know that if for some reason I end up dangling off the end of the line it won't be coming off the drum any toime soon. It is also dead easy to remove at the end of the day. :)

I don't see the need for this welded link malarky :P

i just spliced a small eye into the end, (all credit to SimonrR for that idea) fed that end throught the fairlead, around the drum, back out through the fairlead and then threaded the hook end through the loop and pulled all the line through.

I now know that if for some reason I end up dangling off the end of the line it won't be coming off the drum any toime soon. It is also dead easy to remove at the end of the day. :)

Hi Bishbosh- I have done very similar- except that the loop in the end of my line is spliced right around the drum- when passing the line around the drum it goes through the welded loop and then splices back into the line- if I do winch out too far and end up hanging on the spliced loop around the drum I can winch back in and the welded loop stops the spliced line just spinning on the drum... Not sure that this would happen the way you have yours?- Surely the drum would rotate but not start spooling the line in- might be wrong?? :unsure:

Nope you are not wrong - my drum would just spin, but if I was in that situation I'd be pretty sure the winch was malfunctioning as I wouldn't intentionally get that low on the drum (he says.... :D)

I presume you have to resplice your rope each time you want to take it off? :unsure:

I presume you have to resplice your rope each time you want to take it off? :unsure:

You are not wrong either!!! ;) Yes but I don't need to take it off- unless I am replacing it!! To clean it I just spool it off into a bucket- the last 18" or so obviously wont reach the bucket but doesn't tend to get dirty. Can't see any other reason to take it off...unless...have you been sleeping with your plasma again??!! :wub::moglite: