Keeping plasma on the winch drum...

Anyone have any particularly clever ways of keeping their plasma winch line attached to their winch drum?

I am using 10mm Dyneema Bowrope on my Milemarker and seem to spend most of my life reattaching it. The end of the plasma is held onto the drum via an electrical type terminal crimped to the end which is then held onto the drum by a small bolt. I had lots of problems with the terminal simply coming off the end- I solved this by having it properly crimped on and the net result is that firstly the crimp snapped and then the next time the bolt sheared off... I always make sure that I leave at least 5 wraps of the line on the drum for the capstan effect but I still have problems- any ideas? It would also be nice for me not to have to keep looking at the drum to ensure that the last five wraps are on... Am I asking too much?

Shrek

Splice it onto the drum, I.E. a loop around the drum spliced back into the rope. Helps wth safety when you inadvertantly reach the end of your line

Either that or run with steel for a month or two - the wire rope wears the drum slightly in such a way that the synthetic line adheres to it quite well

Mine never comes off …………. ;)

I am using 12mm dyneema…………… the standard drum holds 22m ………….. but I also carry another two 12mm 20m extension ropes and two 10mm 40m ropes.

Use the correct size terminal and then once crimped, form it to the curve of the drum. Secure the terminal with a stainless steel button head allen screw (just about the lowest profile you can get)………… get this from Exeter wire & rope at Bakers yard

Put 7 or 8 wraps in the drum and secure them with a layer or two of duck tape ……….. then wind on the rest. Remember to purposely cross the rope ………… if you don’t, then a heavy pull will caused the rope to pull through the neat layers and subject the side plates to abnormal loadings…………

When pulling rope off the drum you will hear when it gets to the duck tape ……….. usually about a metre from the nearest tree !

:)

Ian

My drum has previously been used with wire rope- that went in the bin when I bought the winch second hand- and is slightly rough so the rope should grip it- but doesn't...

Putting it through a hole and tying a knot would be far too easy, sensible and effective... except that there is a shaft running inside the drum from the motor to the gearbox at the other end so I can't...

BBC do you know what size and thread the little bolt is?

Shrek

Really don't rely on the crimp bolt for any sort of strength, it's not there to winch off, just to hold the end of line. Lewis's spliced loop will be stronger if you ever get that far down the drum (bad idea), and the strength for normal winching will come from BBC's duck taped 7 or 8 turns.

Oh .......... and you don't check your mirrors ................. Sat night you had 750watts of forward facing lights trying to burn a hole in the back of your head :rolleyes: ....................and still no acknowledgment ............you went into tesco garage and I went into the shop .........I couldn't stop to say hello as I was late getting onto the shoot...............you get funny looks in Tescos when dressed head to foot in real tree camo............. :rolleyes:

Ian

Oh .......... and you don't check your mirrors ................. Sat night you had 750watts of forward facing lights trying to burn a hole in the back of your head :rolleyes: ....................and still no acknowledgment ............you went into tesco garage and I went into the shop .........I couldn't stop to say hello as I was late getting onto the shoot...............you get funny looks in Tescos when dressed head to foot in real tree camo............. :rolleyes:

Now I'm confused... Definitely wasn't me!!- I am definitely a flasher and a waver (to other Landys) I was in Torquay on saturday night at my parents... Must be a Doppleganger on the loose... and his landy better not be nicer than mine :angry: Or indeed someone could have stolen it taken it to refuel it and then left it parked neatly where I had left it????

Does this mean that some other Landy driver is now in fear for his life after he was followed by some strange bloke in full camo gear flashing all his lights at him??

Shrek

Now I'm confused... Definitely wasn't me!!- I am definitely a flasher and a waver (to other Landys) I was in Torquay on saturday night at my parents... Must be a Doppleganger on the loose... and his landy better not be nicer than mine :angry: Or indeed someone could have stolen it taken it to refuel it and then left it parked neatly where I had left it????

Does this mean that some other Landy driver is now in fear for his life after he was followed by some strange bloke in full camo gear flashing all his lights at him??

Shrek

I just assumed it was you from the vehicle …………… only got to see the rear ……………. it approached the town from jetty marsh road , turning left at balls corner roundabout …………. when I say evening ……… I’m talking 5 to 5:30 ish……........dark is evening to me !

Ah well ………….. bet the guy got out at the garage to see what was wrong with the rear end ………… :lol:

I may well see you on Sat ...............

Ian

Another option is to splice the end into a small loop then pass the other end round the drum two or three times and through the loop so it self-tightens (like a slip knot). This is sufficient to grip the drum and the rope cannot come off accidentally.

Si

One mine I have done the following :

• Made sure the drum is roughened and not factory smooth, having had wire on mine that was already done for me :)
  • Crimped a battery terminal on the end, then flattened it in a vice so to make it more in profile with the plasma, used a HT cap low profile cap head with washer between, lovingly tweaked with a hammer to gain follow the drum profile
  • Added a length of plasma antichaf tubing for 3 foot, the start of which is when 7 turns of plasma are on the drum, this is then heatshrunk inplace - ie when the yellow antichaf appears I have 7 turns left on the drum
  • When fitting the plasma connect to a mate truck, winch in and put on under tension, the 1st 2 wraps delibertaley crossing over themselves as this is the best way to have plasma grip.
  • Continue to put on under load, make sure you cross the plasma over itself all the time - takes practise afte years of putting steel on in cotton reel stylee :lol:

Nige

• When fitting the plasma connect to a mate truck, winch in and put on under tension, the 1st 2 wraps delibertaley crossing over themselves as this is the best way to have plasma grip.
  • Continue to put on under load, make sure you cross the plasma over itself all the time - takes practise afte years of putting steel on in cotton reel stylee :lol:

Not sure I have ever seen the point of wrapping it on under tension. Soon as it is used in anger it is invraiably not going back on with tension and there are no problems.

As for the criss cross method too, this causes pinching of the rope too, albeit not as much. In my view too much is made of this handling with winch rope as in practice it seems to be fine both ways. It's only after side pulls where the rope has bunched up that I will spool out and re-wrap.

Just my personal opinion ;)

Cheers

Steve

Another option is to splice the end into a small loop then pass the other end round the drum two or three times and through the loop so it self-tightens (like a slip knot). This is sufficient to grip the drum and the rope cannot come off accidentally.

Si

I like this idea - so long as the loop is big enough for your hook and thimble to go through!! :lol: