Play in front propshaft

stuntman

Hello everyone, has anyone had any experience of excessive play in the prop shaft?

I was under the car and tried to turn the front prop, i managed to move it quite a way to be honest, Is there any way of replcing the worn components in the transfer box and I take it a new (good used) front diff is in order aswell.

Also any idea of costs?

Thanks in advance

Andi K

Prop shaft excessive play. Depends upon where the play is.....in the splines then new/replacement one needed. If it is the UJs then they can be replaced. There are two methods....hydralic press or big vice and big hammer :). Check the tech archive, I'm sure there must be a method shown in there......or else a good workshop manual will show you the way.

Front diff slack can also be cured if it is just excessive back lash between pinion and crown wheel gears. Hard to say until you have removed the diff. If you Disco is the one in the avatar then I'm guessing you have 24 spline diffs. A 2nd hand replacement diff shoudn't cost anymore than £50......for a known good item.

PM me if you need a more detailed description of any of this..........check the tech archive as well; pretty such most of what you need to know is in there :)

HTH

Do you mean you can rotate the front propshaft and the transfer box/diff rotates a bit too? Or do you mean there is play in the shaft after holding it solid at one and wobbling the other?

My propshaft will roate about 30 degrees before the diff teeth engage. This is normal (ish). If you grasp either side of each joint in the shaft and try to force in opposite directions you will feel if there is play in the joint.