How tight?

How hard is it to renew the rear pinion oil seal?

I need to renew it, as its leaking/weeping, but like anything its getting time to do the job, I saw a tech archive on it that was really good by Les, but he did warn to get the right torque setting to tighten the new flange nut on completion!

How do I find the right torque setting for my diff. The Landy's a 110 1996 300Tdi

Only its going in for a service next week and I'm pondering whether to get them to do the job and leave all the stuff I can do until I get chance :(

This is the list of items requiring attention

1 Three steering tie rod ends have slight movement.

2 Steering pitman arm ball joint slight movment.

3 Rear A frame ball joint slight movement.

4 Inlet manifold (weep).

5 Rear diff pinion seal (weap).

6 Front radius arm bushes worn.

7 Sump gasket (weep) & possible rear main oil seal weep.

8 Engine oil cooler inlet 'O' ring.

9 Tappet adjustment.

10 Wheel bearing repack.

11 recommend injector clean service & diesel tune up.

Now don't get me wrong I only want whats best for the rig but the last time I looked in the mirror I didn't see Donald Trump looking back! (Thankfully ;) )

I know a fair bit of this I could do myself with help from the good souls on here! but I rarely have the time!

What would you do first if you had a list like this?

1 Three steering tie rod ends have slight movement.

2 Steering pitman arm ball joint slight movment.

3 Rear A frame ball joint slight movement.

4 Inlet manifold (weep).

5 Rear diff pinion seal (weap).

6 Front radius arm bushes worn.

7 Sump gasket (weep) & possible rear main oil seal weep.

8 Engine oil cooler inlet 'O' ring.

9 Tappet adjustment.

10 Wheel bearing repack.

11 recommend injector clean service & diesel tune up.

IMVHO, The first things I would do, are those that are likely to cause further problems.

You can live with weeps for a while, once you keep an eye on oil levels.

I'd sort the steering play first as it is anything from annoying to dangerous on camber changes etc.

Then the wheels bearings. One dying on you, can be anything from inconvenience to catastrophic at 70 on the motorway.

Tappets next, as incorrect setting can lead to burnt valves etc.

Then the remaining bushes and weeps.

(I've been driving round for far to long on knackered radius bushes. I always find something more important to do, and can't find the time to get to my man-with-a-press)

IMVHO, The first things I would do, are those that are likely to cause further problems.

You can live with weeps for a while, once you keep an eye on oil levels.

I'd sort the steering play first as it is anything from annoying to dangerous on camber changes etc.

Then the wheels bearings. One dying on you, can be anything from inconvenience to catastrophic at 70 on the motorway.

Tappets next, as incorrect setting can lead to burnt valves etc.

Then the remaining bushes and weeps.

(I've been driving round for far to long on knackered radius bushes. I always find something more important to do, and can't find the time to get to my man-with-a-press)

Thanks for that, I just wish I had the time to do some of the things on the list! It doesn't go down well if I tell the wife and kids that over Christmas I'm going to be under the car throwing spanners about!

Thanks for that, I just wish I had the time to do some of the things on the list! It doesn't go down well if I tell the wife and kids that over Christmas I'm going to be under the car throwing spanners about!

Well that's how I plan on catching up :D

There's really only so much you can tolerate working out in the dark and cold after work. I envy those with a toasty garage.

Some day.......some day........

.... or even those with a sunny beach to work on !

Mo :)

Just had a word with the garage and they were very good, told them that if it was up to me I'd do the lot, but as the bank manager is a bit merchant! I can't!

They said that the bearings need attention as there is no record of when they were done last, (if buying, check service history as much as possible!) The annoying thing is they could of been done but there's no record!

Also the tappets. Other than that they are going to give me a heads up on what is desperate! fingers crossed!

I wish I had a garage to work in and not gravel that eats nuts & bolts!