Bolt in floor section?

Francis

Hi. Like many Disco owners, my rear tray has rotted through in places. I wondered, if I cut out the rot, and seal the holes, them bolt (or rivet) a new floor in instead of weld, will this pass an mot?

I would much prefer to have an aluminium floor anyway, solves the rot problem once and for all! Only ever going to carry passengers really!

Hi. Like many Disco owners, my rear tray has rotted through in places. I wondered, if I cut out the rot, and seal the holes, them bolt (or rivet) a new floor in instead of weld, will this pass an mot?

I would much prefer to have an aluminium floor anyway, solves the rot problem once and for all! Only ever going to carry passengers really!

I'd say yes - conditionally:

Yes a bolted-in floor SHOULD pass the MOT, since it's not structural (a number of guys on here have done it with no problem, but I welded mine in!).

An Ali floor is an interesting idea - I guess you'd need a thicker sheet than steel, and it'd probably be a lot more expensive. You'd also need to make sure you insulated any ali-to-steel joints or it'll rot away quicker than rust!

Lets see what everyone else thinks.......

Dunk

I would have thought that attaching a ali floor out of a rangie would work - it would just need shortening by about 4". I suspect that the bits that are rotten are the edge supports round the outside of the centre section, which really do need welding in....

I fastened mine down using Tech-screws and a bed of silicon. No probs with the MOT at all. Hardest part of the job will be getting a tidy hole to put in another piece of metal . For £50 the proper panel is not over dear but you may find that when you start removing rusat that you will need to rebuild the flange on which the panel sits.

Thanks for the replies. Yep, you're right, the edge of the metal that surrounds the floorpan is rusted too. So, I was thinking just cut out the entire floorpan, and bolt in a new section, steel is more likely than alu. I will give it a good coat in waxoil before bolting it in place, then over the top of that, I can place my sheet of aluminium. The sheet of alu I have now is only maybe 3 mm thick, too thin for a floor!

Reason I want to avoid welding is, I have no money for a welder, Christmas is around the corner, and I do not see the point in paying for needless welding if bolting and sealing the floor is just as effective. Would bolting in some plate alu be good enough for the mot on the inner wings of the engine also? Not totally ruined, but few hold here and there.

Next up... cutting out the rear body crossmember and replacing with a box section of steel. Probably will need welding there. :(