2007 model gearbox problems

Sorry to come back to this thread, but to clear things up and Bell Auto Services have also confirmed the same. After reading (it's not a normal occurance) LROI today it states that the new Defender does NOT have a Dual Mass Flywheel like the Transit as it was not suitable for the low rev range needed by a Defender i.e 500rpm. It has a normal single plated clutch :rolleyes: one less thing to worry about

Sorry to come back to this thread, but to clear things up and Bell Auto Services have also confirmed the same. After reading (it's not a normal occurance) LROI today it states that the new Defender does NOT have a Dual Mass Flywheel like the Transit as it was not suitable for the low rev range needed by a Defender i.e 500rpm. It has a normal single plated clutch :rolleyes: one less thing to worry about

agreed but it still needed a new clutch after 6 k it had broken up

My 07 Def goes fine but I experienced several times a "gap" between 2nd an 3rd: I switch gears, press the accelerator and there is a split (rather a full) second of nothingness before the engine reacts... :angry:

Is this what you are all referring to? Does that means my gearbox needs to be changed or I should just ignore it?

I told SWMBO that car was undestrcutable when we bought it... :blush:

A further update.

Mine went in for its 12k service a few weeks back and when asked if their were any 'snags' that needed looking at I said 'No, however there may be a slight vibration now and again and the clutch can seem noisy at idle in neutral.'

To be honest it seemed fine to me - just the usual Landrover noises and the gear change has always been fine.

When it was dropped back they said they'd spoken to Landrover about the drivetrain noise and been advised that they should fit a new clutch - could they book it back in?

It went in this week and I had a Freebie to run about in.

Picked it up tonight and I have to say the new clutch has made it so much quieter - I'm not sure if it has just got slowly worse or if it was never this good.

Also came back with a full valet and some black wingtops - very smart.

I've driven a few 07's as well as my own and they have all been very much of a muchness, some being marginally better than others but they all seem to have a fair degree of slack. I tend to use the technique you describe too, in fact thinking about it I've used it for to a greater or lesser extent over the years for all LR's as I found it helps minimise transmission clunk.

Is double-declutching considered a worthwhile technique with current Defenders ?

Thanks