2007 model gearbox problems

sunday morning rolled it forward to get to the back to unload fire wood then went to start it to move it back no go

just turned over half a turn and jammed tryed four times half a turn each time would not fully turn over ?

called the call out number again got a guy in a disco. we got it to started by depressing the clutch which seemed to free the problem but now when starting it makes a very loud banging from the back of the gear box area if you don't depress the clutch

so back to the main stealer

to add insult the loaner is a nissan outlaw

sunday morning rolled it forward to get to the back to unload fire wood then went to start it to move it back no go

just turned over half a turn and jammed tryed four times half a turn each time would not fully turn over ?

called the call out number again got a guy in a disco. we got it to started by depressing the clutch which seemed to free the problem but now when starting it makes a very loud banging from the back of the gear box area if you don't depress the clutch

so back to the main stealer

to add insult the loaner is a nissan outlaw

This concerns me, have you had any other problems with it and how many miles have you done?

So far mines been absolutely awesome (10.5kmiles) and I cannot fault it whatsoever I dont feel all 2007's can be tarnished with the same brush......yet

A friend of mine has done about 20k miles in his 2007 and has just had the gearbox rebuild/replaced. Still doesn't shift smoothly in 2nd.

Other problems include leaking turbo and ABS malfunction. He's starting to regret trading in his TD5...

A friend of mine has done about 20k miles in his 2007 and has just had the gearbox rebuild/replaced. Still doesn't shift smoothly in 2nd.

Other problems include leaking turbo and ABS malfunction. He's starting to regret trading in his TD5...

Is this down to the way the gearbox is being used differently in the Defender as opposed to the Transit where as far as know (after lots of googling) there are no problems. What has your mate been using his Defender for, towing off roading or just normal every day rad use?

As I said before I dont think we should start to tarninsh them all with the same brush just yet, at the end of the day forums are places for people to report faults amongst lots of nice things of course. I will be the first to report a fault on mine when one crops up. Notice the choice of words there (when not if).

My dad had a new 35k audi that went through 3 gearboxes in 12months 1 faulty one from the factory, one poorly fitted one by the garage and the last one went onto over 100k without bother.

one old fellow told me this saying "don´t swap the good by the new"

:P

Is this down to the way the gearbox is being used differently in the Defender as opposed to the Transit where as far as know (after lots of googling) there are no problems. What has your mate been using his Defender for, towing off roading or just normal every day rad use?

As I said before I dont think we should start to tarninsh them all with the same brush just yet, at the end of the day forums are places for people to report faults amongst lots of nice things of course. I will be the first to report a fault on mine when one crops up. Notice the choice of words there (when not if).

I am not sure about the differences between the Defender and Transit.

The car is used as daily driver, occasional towing and soo far has only been offroad on a very gentle greenlane.

Overall he is very pleased with it, but the downtime was very painfull because he uses the car for his company (hence the high mileage).

well after the dealer saying it was fine and me having to go down and show them the judder banging sound on start up he said that normal i said ****** and we went and found a new 2007 on display started it five time each time no judding or banging

dealer emailed land rover for a tect reply

hire car up graded to a TDV8 Vogue B)

well after the dealer saying it was fine and me having to go down and show them the judder banging sound on start up he said that normal i said ****** and we went and found a new 2007 on display started it five time each time no judding or banging

It really p**ses me off when dealers suggest that "it's normal".

Firstly: I'm the one that drives many thousands of miles in the vehicle - therefore I'm the only one qualified to comment on whether it is "normal" or not.

Secondly: Just because it is common, doesn't mean to say that it is right. Just because others are complaining of the same thing doesn't negate the need for them to fix it. :angry2:

Good move on the upgrade though :)

Well done - keep us updated with this if you would be so kind, I'm waiting for mine to do something after 10,000 miles.

update

rang the dealer today they have removed the gear box

dealer suspects gear box ?

land rover tects said problems with springs on duel mass clutch ?

seem they have had this problem before has my one as 5k worth of city miles it may have failed

fitting new bits monday and trying again

dan

update

rang the dealer today they have removed the gear box

dealer suspects gear box ?

land rover tects said problems with springs on duel mass clutch ?

seem they have had this problem before has my one as 5k worth of city miles it may have failed

fitting new bits monday and trying again

dan

Hi Daniel, can you shed any more light on this. Are they (have they) replacing the parts with newer versions. I have also seen on other forums that the greabox problems have been sorted out in the 57 models, any idea on this alo??

Cheers

Hi Daniel, can you shed any more light on this. Are they (have they) replacing the parts with newer versions. I have also seen on other forums that the greabox problems have been sorted out in the 57 models, any idea on this alo??

Cheers

hi can't confirm any points as i am a bit fed up with them they where going to ring monday and let me know what going on

its now tuesday no call

all i know was they were to replace the clutch under land rovers instructions

dan

hi can't confirm any points as i am a bit fed up with them they where going to ring monday and let me know what going on

its now tuesday no call

all i know was they were to replace the clutch under land rovers instructions

dan

Ok mate, thanks and keep us updated.

well its back

not gear box but the clutch springs had failed as land rover had said which was making the noise

never mind

Dan

Thanks for the update, do you find it quite difficult to try and change gear smoothly, what I have found with the new engine and gearbox (compared with the 300Tdi and R380) is that you cant really drive it like you would a normal car. What I mean is when your normally moving along and want to go up a gear you:

1. Take your foot off the accelerator

2. Push the clutch in

2. Select the next gear

3. Let the clutch out whilst gently pressing the accelerator

This method doesn't make for a smooth gear change though on the new defender, I find you have to let the clutch out completely before touching the accelerator otherwise there is a jolt in the transmission, this is even worse when gearing down.

You have to be ever so gentle with the new setup up to get a nice smooth gear change, if this is not the case with anyone elses 07 then it's either me or the vehicle but I've never noticed this in my 6 previous Land Rover's. <_<

Thanks for the update, do you find it quite difficult to try and change gear smoothly, what I have found with the new engine and gearbox (compared with the 300Tdi and R380) is that you cant really drive it like you would a normal car. What I mean is when your normally moving along and want to go up a gear you:

2. Push the clutch in

2. Select the next gear

This method doesn't make for a smooth gear change though on the new defender, I find you have to let the clutch out completely before touching the accelerator otherwise there is a jolt in the transmission, this is even worse when gearing down.

You have to be ever so gentle with the new setup up to get a nice smooth gear change, if this is not the case with anyone elses 07 then it's either me or the vehicle but I've never noticed this in my 6 previous Land Rover's. <_<

i found the six speed very hard to get used to over the last td5 55 plate i had. the TD5 could never be rushed but was very easy to use

the six speed 2nd to 3rd is very hard to get right i have been in formed that a few 07 model have gearbox change issues and have been replaced or repaired. its the same gearbox as the transit and a mate is a RAC man They have a large fleet of transits

and the 07 year models seem to have the same problems with the clutch that my one had but the gear change in the transit is better ?

dan

well its back

not gear box but the clutch springs had failed as land rover had said which was making the noise

never mind

Dan

Dan, I forgot to ask you if Land Rover fitted a new type of part or did they just replace like for like?

Cheers Rich

I have driven a few and noticed that the all singing all dancing new gearbox is actually not as nice to use as the R380 in my 300Tdi 110... some are worse than others but to be honest I am really disappointed with the gearbox especially when you look at how good the engine is. Apart from the new ratios, which I do like, I'd rather have an R380 box.

2. Push the clutch in

2. Select the next gear

I've driven a few 07's as well as my own and they have all been very much of a muchness, some being marginally better than others but they all seem to have a fair degree of slack. I tend to use the technique you describe too, in fact thinking about it I've used it for to a greater or lesser extent over the years for all LR's as I found it helps minimise transmission clunk.

Been using a 06 year 90 for the last few weeks, but jumped in the 07 today for a trip to Torbay,, !! a total pleasure compered

The gearbox is far superior to any of the previous Defenders i have own or driven, nowhere near as agricultural,

Maybe i have a good one, as no gear change issues, nice and smooth,

The ones I have driven often have a pronounced crunch on 2nd (even changing slowly and carefully) and the gearchange overall is not significantly better than an R380, just "different" and I think I prefer the old quirks because they seem to be easier to drive round.

In fairness I got the impression that it was probably the effects of the Land Rover tolerances in the rest of the drivetrain making themselves felt, rather than the actual gearbox itself. It'll be interesting to drive a 100,000 miler in a few years time :)

Drove a 57 a week or so ago

then drove mine afterwards

the 57 was very smooth(only had about 500 miles on the clock)

mine is very easy to engage I guess all the added up wear :)

they still need a smaller steering wheel to give a bit more elbow room TBH

Hi

Picked up my 2007 model mid August. It was stuck in reverse after 5 weeks (pin stuck in selector) although the gear stick felt as though it was in neutral!! This happened again when the car was 8 weeks old.

Land rover replaced the gearbox! I have no explanation for why it needed a gearbox so quickly.

It drives much better now, so there was obviously an issue.

Cheers