Twin pipe Brake Calipers

v8bertha

On early Rangie Classics the front brake calipers had 2 pipes and 3 bleed nipples on each. IIRC this is a safety thing as the resevoir has 2 sections to hold the fluid? So if one pipe gets broken, you only loose half the fluid and the brakes should still work?

Anyway... my question is...

Do the calipers need both pipes to operate effectively? Or can you bung up on eof the holes with a bleed nipple for example and just have one pipe like the later calipers?

If so does it make any difference which pipe hole you bung up?

Ta

D :-)

On early Rangie Classics the front brake calipers had 2 pipes and 3 bleed nipples on each. IIRC this is a safety thing as the resevoir has 2 sections to hold the fluid? So if one pipe gets broken, you only loose half the fluid and the brakes should still work?

Anyway... my question is...

Do the calipers need both pipes to operate effectively? Or can you bung up on eof the holes with a bleed nipple for example and just have one pipe like the later calipers?

If so does it make any difference which pipe hole you bung up?

Ta

D :-)

I joined them together,new pipes and used a tee piece.

In a RR one pipe operates two pistons on the front caliper and the rear brakes.When the system pressure is reached/equalised a shuttle valve allows the second set of pistons to work on the front calipers.

So to answer your question i'd say yes both need connecting up.