Wipers

BadBob

Hi can anybody help please My S3 lightweight wipers only work on second click of switch IE fast is it likely the switch has gone or motor or some relay? thanks also I was wondering if you can fit 750x16 tyres in place of the standard 600's on the orginal rims to raise the gearing as it seems to scream at 50 /60 even with overdrive in.

Hi can anybody help please My S3 lightweight wipers only work on second click of switch IE fast is it likely the switch has gone or motor or some relay? thanks also I was wondering if you can fit 750x16 tyres in place of the standard 600's on the orginal rims to raise the gearing as it seems to scream at 50 /60 even with overdrive in.

Did they ever work at two speed? IIRC 2 speed wipers were only fitted to "upmarket" vehicles. There is a different motor for single & dual speed, no relays involved, the two-speed motor has an extra wire coming out of it. It could be the switch.

This is the standard single speed setup

349438412_485782824e_o.jpg

The two speed has an extra wire going from the motor to the switch.

Yes you can fit 750 x 16, but you need suitable rims, those of a 109 will do.

Did they ever work at two speed? IIRC 2 speed wipers were only fitted to "upmarket" vehicles. There is a different motor for single & dual speed, no relays involved, the two-speed motor has an extra wire coming out of it. It could be the switch.

This is the standard single speed setup

349438412_485782824e_o.jpg

The two speed has an extra wire going from the motor to the switch.

Yes you can fit 750 x 16, but you need suitable rims, those of a 109 will do.

Thanks will check motor and see if it has the extra wire It has never worked since i've had it but I have'nt used it in winter before so never worried about it shoud they self park they have'nt since I've had It

You should really fit LWB rims to take 7.50's as the SWB items are too narrow, I know plenty of people do it but that doesn't make it right.

Fitting 7.50's will make a big improvement.

Yes you will raise the gearing very slightly (speedo will be out so you should source a LWB replacement or get it recaliberated) but the biggest change will be in the ride quality. Assuming you are currently running crosplys the fitting some decent radials will make a bigger difference than new springs (it's the flexible sidewalls that make the difference), the road holding will be increased and wet weather braking a lot safer.

You will almost certainly notice that the steering is heavier (those flexible sidewalls again) but it is quite easy to live with and the benefits far outweigh the negative.