Bad day !

Hello Myself and wife rebuilt our 110 sw this summer, bought a "car port" gazebo off ebay for £45. New galv chassis, new bulkhead, 5 new doors, all pipes and hoses, polybush.... Final cost was nearly £10k, but got carried away - each panel resprayed as removed, new box from ashcroft, alloys, heated screen etc. I'd probably just make the money back on resale but that's not the point. I know her inside out and she'll last for ever. Start to finish was 22 days but we had almost no experience. Most difficult bit was electrics. My advice is go for it! Regards Malc.

I think most people on here have spent far beyong the value of their truck - either modifying it or just keeping it on the road. You obviously think a lot of it so take your time and do what's necessary to get it sorted out. Buy a small eurobox that costs pennies to keep on the road, SORN Mildred and then you can take your time over it.

Les.

Righty- oh ,

Time to talk facts.....I did the assessment for Gerry, no pics I'm afraid but as he said the vehicle is an ex-NHS snow plough and only did around 400miles between mots in slushy, salty carparks and access roads and then got stood up for the rest of the year.... :o

As a consequence of this the Chassis is rusted and full of holes/paperthin from front to back, the bulkhead is the same for the bottom 400mm - footwells/doorposts , ALL the aluminium in this 'zone' is turning to white powder , so thats doors,floors, seatbox(only attached to reartub!), reartub floor. <_<

Underneath the rear axle case is so rusty it leaks oil out along the 'tubes' as well as diffpan, rear radius arms have 'laminated' rust 3-4mm thick all over -falls off with a tap leaving black rusty thin material, the track controlrod and draglink are the same on the front axle - the clamps for the trackrod ends are just a ring of rust layers.

Both front wings have wrinkles in the outer skins and a couple of wheelarch ext. are damaged.

Plus points : low mileage engine (2.5petrol) and gearbox and axle internals, new steering box/front springs/front calipers/ good windscreen/hardtop/rear door/bonnet/frontpanel.

So thats the story.....current plan is looking at early ninety's that are not falling to pieces for around £2k then to break the 'plough for bits to stash for the 'new' one or sell to recover some costs, when its all sorted out I'll put an ad inthe classified

hope that clarifies things a little , we all know any Land Rover in any state can be rebuilt, but time and space are big factors for Gerry, ...and I think he would rather be able to use his 90 B) when he wants as opposed to an extended period in a shed.

Cheers

Steveb

Yep Les , Gerry's thread title is apt ..first time ever that I've had to say that about a 90/110 :( I'm usually all for bringing old Land Rovers back from the edge....I don't even like to see IIA/III's being scrapped :D

I'm sure the good bits will live on

Steveb