new bonnet catch

Recently having a lot of trouble with the standard cable/catch and before replacing the existing components I want to consider other options.... can I fit the external clasp type that are fitted on the bonnet without use of cable etc?

anyone done this before or know where to get parts?

cheers

dan

You could fit the military type bonnet clamps, got these on my 90:

post-130-1197271962_thumb.jpg

thanks, i might go with those, think ive seen them going on ebay. did you pop rivet or screw on?

how do they work... do you just press the bonnet down so they catch and then release and they hold in place?

nice truck by the way, looks like it loaded with kit!! :)

Guest diesel_jim
thanks, i might go with those, think ive seen them going on ebay. did you pop rivet or screw on?

how do they work... do you just press the bonnet down so they catch and then release and they hold in place?

you just close the bonnet, and the catches are spring loaded, so you grab the "T" bit with 2 fingers and there is a small hook that bolts onto the wing, just "hook" it on.

nice truck by the way, looks like it loaded with kit!! :)

Thanks. although looking rather sad now, as i've stripped most of the goodies off of it in readyness for my 110 project.

You can use the earlier type of bonnet release that has the actual release just behind the grill. Im just doing the complete opposite to my defender and taken that part off mine and fitted the release cable type.

To do it you just need to change the slam panel to earlier type, easier and tidier than military type in my opinion.

Ps. I do have the parts if you are interested

Guest diesel_jim

Because at one time i was running 24psi boost on my Tdi, and the single (standard diameter) snorkel was strangling it too much.

so i stuck a second on, and welded a piece of pipe into the air filter box, so it has 2 input pipes on it.

The engine revved much free-er after that. although i dropped the boost back down to a more sedate 18~19psi after a while just for engine/turbo longevity.

• 3 weeks later...

im finally getting round to replacing the bonnet catch (im going to external clasp types as fed up with cable problems). 2 qns remain....

1) do i got for metal type as pictured above or rubber?

2) screw or pop rivet fittings?

your thoughts welcome folks.

cheers

dan

My ex Mod 90 has the metal T handle types, fitted with 3/16th (4.9mm) pop rivets, but it had 4mm screws/nuts when it arrived with me.

I also have a slam panel from a 110 which had a fully functioning release arm. You can only open the bonnet if you know where the catch is behind the grill (fitted the panel/catch as increased security).

If you want catches with lockable hasps have a look at www.holden.co.uk under body fittings, then bonet thingys.