Engine Mount Bolts

geoffbeaumont

Attempted to change the engine mount rubbers on the Discovery this afternoon but was utterly defeated when I couldn't shift any of the bolts attaching the engine mounts to the block :(

I couldn't get an extension bar over the spanner (not enough space), and daren't use heat (too much oil around :rolleyes:) - although I doubt I could get the block warm enough to make any difference anyway. Best I could manage was tapping the spanner with a 4lb lump hammer on a couple of the bolts - didn't shift them at all.

Anyone got any handy hints for shifting the wretched things?

I believe the bolts you are referring to are 19mm head? I find that if I use the biggest spanner that will fit on the end of the spanner on the bolt head - the less likely it is to slip. For instance - 19mm spanner on the bolt with a 30mm spanner to apply leverage.

Don't blame me if you skin your knuckles though :D

Do it wearing a pair of boxing gloves :)

Les.

Don't think I'll get another crack at it until the weekend anyway - got to take Erica to the airport tomorrow, and the Pug's off the road (permanently - it's only a cracked exhaust weld but I can't fix it and it's £70 to get it done. It's not worth me spending that on the car).

Didn't have a very productive day, really - got no-where with the engine mounts, trashed a door panel before I worked out I couldn't fit the new speakers into the door frame. I did manage to successfully change the fuel filter, which was thoroughly gunked up (and worryingly looked more like rubbish biodiesel than muck from the pipes :(), but discovered in the process that the lift pump is shot (new one on order) :(